Does my situation sound normal, or do I sound worse of than most people?

I'm 24. I got a B.S. in Computer Science 2 months ago. I've had about 10 interviews, but all of them have said they're pursuing other candidates after I interviewed with them. I live with my parents.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Don't seek validation off people on yahoo answers, yes some people do have jobs lined up before they graduate but some also never actually use their degree and end up working in retail or something.

Everyone is different don't compare yourself, trust me I was in the same situation. Living with parents is not a bad thing I love it, I get a good meal get to save my money and my parents enjoy having me around (well I think they do) anyway well done on obtaining a degree.

Okay so you are getting interviews that's something at least many don't even get interviews. Ask for feedback find out what is holding you back, get experience if you can instead of sitting around. Prep for interviews so many over look this, don't get me wrong some can turn up to interviews and talk the talk but some cant so prep anticipate questions, think of everything you have ever done and stories they will ask for examples. Also I suggest looking at exercises to boost confidence.

Don't give up, its hard in the UK to obtain employment even with a degree unless you have a lot of experince

• 1 year ago

It is not unusual to apply to 100 places to get 5-10 interviews, and need as many as 50 interviews to actually get hired. How highly rated was your school? How about your grades? Do you have good letters of recommendation from your professors on file? What projects or work experience do you have? Any samples of work you have done (even class projects) which you can use as your portfolio?

What's your area of interest, experience, etc, within CS? Can you find someone who needs such a project done, even freelance or for a charity, which will give you some experience & references? Do you have any special certifications? Look into those.

• AJ
    1 year ago

Most people who graduate with that degree typically have a job lined up several months before they even graduate.

• 1 year ago

It sounds like you are under confident during the interviews.

Go back to your school's career center and get some interview training.

1 year ago

Fairly normal. The job market it IT is pretty tight these days.

• 1 year ago

BS in CS...from a good school? What was your focus and in how many CS languages are you proficient??

The degree is a good start, but what skills do you actually have which make you appealing to potential employers??

• 1 year ago

Thats a lot of interviews with no luck but if these people are interviewing 10 plus candidates each then maybe its just bad luck and nothing more. Still you need to be the one that stands out so practice your interviewing (in the mirror if you must), parctice how you will answer questions and learn better how to highlight your strengths and hide your weaknesses. Take another look at your resume - is it the best possible or could you maybe improve it a bit, space it differently, something - maybe you can't but take another look.

Also is there anything you can do while looking to further bolster your knowledge - a class at a community college on a language you don't know? Even if this never helps you it shows further initiative?

Then after you've done these things get back out there and go on 10 more interviews or 20 or 100, whatever is needed but if you are constantly improving your interviewing and skills then you will get a job.

1 year ago

Nowadays, it seems like employers don't want college educated people. I experience the same thing.

• Big Mouth
      1 year agoReport

That's because they never did. It was all just a trick.

1 year ago

Yes