What do the + and - symbols on Wikipedia mean?

If I go to the Contributions page on Wikipedia and look at my contributions, there s also a + or - symbol and a number right before the name of the post I edited [example: (+8) Viktor Davenko or (-73) Ariana Grande]

What does this mean? Does it have to do with how good my contribution is?

• 1 year ago

It's simply a measure of how much static electricity - or the lack of it - was present in the contributors fingers as they typed their edits into Wikipedia. If Wikipedia's servers accumulate too much static in a certain period of time due to over-editing, data could be lost so they keep track of it.

Tip: Whilst editing Wikipedia, remember to discharge yourself now and again to get rid of any pent-up energy. Hope this helped.

• SRΛSC
    1 year ago

I think its to do with the size of the edit as far as how much it added or deleted from the size of the article.

• Cantra
    1 year ago

It is the size difference (in bytes) between two revisions. So Viktor's contribution added 8 bytes to the article size (roughly 8 characters more) and Ariana's edit removed 73 bytes.