How is that someone who has been vegan for nearly 40 years contract Type 2 diabetes? Does anyone know other vegans with diabetes?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

There is a genetic component, as well as an age related increase the development. As others have mentioned, a vegan diet can be high carb, which won't cause diabetes but can aggravate it.

• lo_mcg
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

I’m a long-term vegan with type 2 diabetes.

Type 2 diabetes is unrelated to diet in that it's not caused by eating particular foods (including sugar) or by a particular diet. However, being significantly overweight is the major risk factor for type 2 diabetes.

To get type 2 diabetes you have to have inherited diabetic genes. People without these genes can spend all their time lying around doing nothing but eating chips and chocolate with potato salad sandwiches washed down with cola and gin; they'll almost certainly get fat, they won't be healthy, they’ll probably develop other conditions - but they won't get type 2 diabetes. So bad choice of ancestors is the first step to getting type 2 diabetes.

However diabetic genes are not enough to cause diabetes on their own. You are at increased risk of type 2 diabetes if, as well as having the necessary genes you are aged between 40 and 75 (as doubtless your 40-year vegan is); or you are of Asian or African-Carribean origin; or you are significantly overweight; or you are a woman who has had a baby weighing more than 4kg

Though these are the main risk factors, there are some other things that can trigger type 2 diabetes, eg steroid medicines. In my case it is thought possible that the steroids used in chemotherapy triggered my type2 diabetes, or pushed me 'over the edge' into diabetes .

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

not to smart are ya? the 2 arent linked in any way

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Whether or not you eat meat has nothing to do with diabetes. Contrary to what militant vegans mindlessly believe, eating meat does not cause diabetes. Diabetes is caused by having too much sugar over a long period of time. Anybody can end up with diabetes if they constantly overdo on the sugars, vegan or not.

The idea that "eating meat causes heart disease, cancer, and diabetes" is just propaganda from militant groups like PETA. And if I remember correctly, PETA also lied two times, when they claimed that drinking cow's milk is linked to autism and the white supremacists movement.

I have an older brother who is autistic. He was born with autism. It's nobody's fault. It's one of those things that happened. And the idea that drinking cow's milk makes you a white supremacists is an outright lie. The only point of using that lie is to place false guilt on people who are not vegan. Pulling the race card is dishonest and wrong. Eating meat doesn't make someone a racist. Enough already.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Genetics play a role in diabetes, as does obesity (and yes, there are obese vegans) and lack of exercise.

• Tulip
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Diet isn't the only thing that causes diabetes do some research. A magical place called Google for instance.

• 2 years ago

Vegan? ok. you don't eat meat or dairy. Sugar intake is probably much higher than people who eat those things.

• 2 years ago

Because diabetes is also linked to genetics, obesity and a sedentary lifestyle.

Vegans can still be obese. Obesity doesnt come from eating meat.

Being vegan is NOT necessarily healthier.. Theres a lot of junk food that is vegan.. Oreos for example.

A lot of pastas, breads and other starchy foods are vegan.

• 2 years ago

Age, genetics, and yes, DIET, can play a roll. Some of the most unhealthy people I've ever known were vegetarians and vegans. Just because they label themselves like that doesn't mean they actually know how to eat or know anything about nutrition.

Plus, the pancreas works in mysterious ways. I didn't mean for that to sound all spooky or anything, but I swear, it's like one extreme or the other that can cause diabetes- way too much sugar or not enough.

• 2 years ago

What does being vegan (no animal products) have to do with being diabetic? Where do you think sugar is? It's in everything you eat. It's in bread. It's in fruit. It's in vegetables. It's in grains.

In fact, eating protein such as meat with potatoes or other high glucose foods helps to slow the absorption of that glucose into one's blood stream.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.