Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsWrestling · 10 months ago

When was the day that wrestling died?

On February 3, 1959, American rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J. P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson were killed in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, together with pilot Roger Peterson. This was referred to as "The Day the Music Died" in Don McLean's song "American Pie."

My question is, was there a day that wrestling died? What would wrestling's equivalent to that be? If there hasn't been, what do you think will be? I am eager to read your answers, thank you for your time.

• Candle
    Favorite Answer

That's an interesting question. Of course it was referred to the "day the music died" because multiple artists that were huge or on the verge of being big time hit makers all died in the same flight, thus changing the course of music forever. I'm trying to think if such a thing has happened in wrestling on a major scale. There have been things like the MSG Curtain Call and the Montreal Screw Job that definitely put an end to kayfabe, which is in a sense the life blood of professional wrestling, however I don't think they're big enough.

The there are four major turn around moments in WWE's history in particular that have greatly changed wrestling while leaving casualties in it's wake:

1. The Death of the Territories at the Hands of Vince McMahon Jr.

2. The Original Steroid Trial

3. The Beginning of the Attitude Era.

4. The Death of the Benoit Family.

Event number one might be the biggest "day the music died" for wrestling. If I were to put a specific date on it, it would be July 14, 1984, a.k.a. Black Saturday. The death of the territories completely gave wrestling a makeover. Gone were the brutal brawlers of the South, and in came the cartoonish muscle heads of the WWF. Southern fans hated it, but they didn't have to deal with it as long as they had their Jim Crockett wrestling Well, Vince bought Georgia Championship Wrestling's time slot and ultimately put the company under, thus killing the biggest alternative for slam bang southern wrestling fans. A falling out with Turner over Black Saturday led to the creation of WCW, which would ultimately become the number one wrestling promotion until Vince took them out over a decade later.

Event number two pretty much killed McMahon's vision of body builder wrestlers and cement the careers and legacies of guys like Shawn Michaels and the Hart family. Hogan's testimony pretty much ousted him out of his own job, and many other body guys would follow him out the door to WCW, whom to my knowledge were ever indicted on steroid charges by the U.S. government (although they most definitely should have been). Because of work rate legends like the aforementioned Harts and HBK, along with the likes of Curt Hennig, Jake Roberts, Razor Ramon, Sean Waltman, and Rick Rude, a standard of well put together matches in the midcard and main event started to form. The entire style of wrestling today could be attributed to the New Generation Era. The exodus of Hogan also led to the rise of WCW via the nWo.

3. The Attitude Era became big not only because of big, less cartoonish, edgy characters, but also because of WCW's ineptitude. Crash TV as it's been called led to the biggest windfall during the Monday Night Wars. Russo helped and hurt on both side of the aisles by blurring the lines of kayfabe, Steve Austin and The Rock rose into prominence, Mick Foley winning the World Championship became a must-see event due to inept WCW spoilers and a horrendous finger poke of doom segment on the same night. Attitude Era made wrestling main stream and cool again. Without this breakthrough in booking from Vince, WWF wouldn't be around today, and considering WCW went out of business over an AOL/Turner merger and not the WWF directly, there's a good chance mainstream wrestling would've died if WWF hadn't pulled through to the other end of the 90's. If that's not course altering, I don't know what is.

And finally, there's the sad and untimely death of Chris Benoit, which changed many standards and practices with how wrestlers wrestle within the WWE and how often they're checked for concussions. For awhile it also spelled the end for the 'work rate' era of wrestling, and the almost complete obliteration of hardcore wrestling in mainstream wrestling. Aside from the positive, yet too little too late, changes within the wrestling world, there's also this back catalog of 20 years of wrestling where Nancy, Chris, or both were present in every major wrestling company. That's just hard to disassociate from. It's hard to watch them together, it's hard to watch some of the bumps and chair shots to the head Benoit took knowing now what we didn't know then. I can't even watch the man deliver a flying headbutt anymore because he sold it better than his opponents did, and it makes me wonder if he's selling when he yells into the camera in agony, or if this is just me watching a man slowly turn his brain into pudding. If there's been a true death to wrestling, altering it's course in history, and staining it's past memories in thick black redaction, it's the death of the Benoit family.

• 10 months agoReport

Very well thought out answer. You made a lot of great points.

I think Vince McMahon’s passing will be the day when wrestling dies. Before you thumb me down, hear me out. Vince McMahon is arguably the most influential person in wrestling history. He helped make it mainstream. The wrestling business would be a lot different if Vince never purchased the company from his father. As much as fans like to hate on him, there’s no denying how important he was to the industry. I think the wrestling business wouldn’t be the same without him.

• 10 months agoReport

I agree that he was a huge influence but it seems as though he has lost the same spark he had many years ago.

• March 31, 1985--WrestleMania I: The World Wrestling Federation proved that they could offer contracts to and sign Professional Wrestlers from Professional Wrestlers from all over The United States and Canada and put together a Card Showcasing these Wrestlers on a scale that only Jim Crockett Promotions, All Japan Pro Wrestling and New Japan Pro Wrestling at that time could rival. By 1985 so many Professional Wrestling Promotions had lost so many talented Wrestlers to The WWF and that trend would continue the rest of the decade and beyond. Professional Wrestling was replaced by Sports Entertainment.