I found 2 american flags and a Marine Corps flag next to my granpa's grave. Who do you think put it there?

So my grandpa passed away in december. He was a WWII Marine and later in life he went to medical school and became a gp. We buried him in a civilian cemetery,next to my granma,who died in the year 2000. A few feet from his grave there is a plaque that we got for free from the gov. that simply reports his name and "PFC US MARINE CORPS WWII" and Birth date-death date. Last time I was there,about 3 weeks ago there were just some flowers that we had taken there. I went yesterday to see his grave and there were 2 american flags and a Marine Corps flag next to his grave. Who put it there? It is not a military cemetery. Nobody of my family put it there as I asked. Not that I complain,but I was just wondering. Who do you think might have put it there? Why would some stranger put it?

• KaleyK
    Favorite Answer

There are a number of civic organizations ... VFW, Boy Scouts, etc. ... that place flags in cemeteries. There are also various Marine Corps Associations that would place the Marine Corps flag. Being a Marine is a permanent feature, even in death. Everyone dies but not everyone dies a Marine.

• David

VFW will do it for sure, I think American Legion too. We plant flowers on family graves on Memorial Day and all the military graves have flags. We go to one very old, small cemetery out in the middle of a farmers field and one year there was a military honor guard there giving a 21 gun salute and playing taps. Very moving.

It probably was the VFW or American Legion or maybe some other organization like Wreaths Across America. They put it there in his memory and because of the sacrifices he and others made when serving in the military in WW II. Those that served then are a special group.

He was a US war veteran? Probably VFW then. They commonly honor each other and consider themselves pretty special. in the grave or not. He most likely has ties you'll know nothing about, obviously since he was your grandfather.

• james

You never know. No need to ask. When I get up around Clark. I stop to pay my respects. I know none there. But they were fellow Americans. Most there died in WW2. Laid to rest in the Philippines most forgot. It is a way to remember. Those who served.

some folk honor veterans ... i'm good with it.

Source(s): my father received Distinguished Service Cross for action in 1945 Germany

Doesn't matter who put them there it was just a honor for them to say' Thank You'.

Source(s): Was an Army Honor Guard in DC years ago, helped inture a number of ex-military personal in the Arling. Nat. Cemetery and private plots.

Someone or some group that honors veterans are the likely flag placers. It's considered an honor.

• Squid

There are a lot of veterans and veterans organizations out there that put flags on graves.

The VFW.