What do you think of Obamacare?

This is getting a lot of answers. More than I expected.

A lot of people on here both Pro and Against the ACA are suggesting it is Health Insurance

As I indicated in a lot of my comments here,

health insurance is a small part of Obamacare/ACA.

There is a lot more to it, that most people do not talk about!

I agree with what you say about how we must be conscious of everything we do and use in American healthcare. That happens because hospitals charge so much for, everything they use in caring for the patient. If we had single payer healthcare we would not be cost conscience.

Single payer is a great idea for cost and quality, but the problem is how do you get to single payer without causing unemployment in the healthcare and health insurance industry? If we can ever answer that question, we should go to single payer.

• humpty
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Having worked in the Canadian single payer system and our own for profit hospitals, I greatly admire and prefer the Canadian. From the point of view as a critical care nurse, I loved being focussed on treatment first. The second the patient hit the triage desk we were about treatment only. The bureaucracy came later.

In the USA nurses and doctors are expected to count each individual gauze, every tube of lotion, and every second spent on billing is time spent away from providing care. In Canada we just do our nursing duties and let stores and accounting count the costs.

Accounting is a place a single payer system saves Canadians a fortune. In the USA we have entire towers filled with bookkeepers and accountants, not to mention the required collections department. Canadian hospitals have accounting departments that take up less room than most nursing units, which leaves the towers available for more patient beds. Fewer accountants means more nurses. People who argue that their system costs more fail to take this efficiency into account.

Obamacare is a small step towards that superior Canadian system, where every citizen is covered through the general revenues of the tax system. In Canada there has not been a medical bankruptcy in the last half century, and no person has been denied treatment because of a pre existing condition.

I never worked in Europe, but nurses and doctors have assured me that this is true in every industrialized democracy but ours. In terms of access to health care we are number thirty seven!

The Canadian system is great for doctors as well, although the younger ones do not realize it because they do not remember how they used to need five clerks for the single one they employ today. They also do not need bill collection agencies and lawyers to track down their patients. Seriously, the Canadian system save so much on bureaucracy that can then be spent on parient care!

I admit this is more about private care, including the Obama version, versus single payer universal coverage, but my point is that I think Obamacare is a very small but significant step towards equality with Canada and the European Union. That's why I will vote for a Democrat who supports single payer before any other candidate in the upcoming primaries.

We deserve to be at least as good as Portugal, don't we?

Source(s): Twenty nine years of critical care nursing
    1 year ago

It's terrible. Trump's ideas are much more logical.

• 1 year agoReport

Maybe you should try actually dealing with the thieves and criminals in that so-called "medical" system BEFORE you spout. Then look at the question that's "nurse & Ferrari".

THEN you might comment on that bogus thieving system.

• zipper
    1 year ago

OBAMA CARE SUCKS! My health insurance went up and now covers less because they had to cover people that could not afford coverage. It only made a bad thing worse. With out insurance to visit my doctor cost $165.00 but with insurance they pay $85.00 and I pay $15.00 more so for the same visit with insurance it cost $100.00. To me it sounds like the Doctors are price goring the poor!

• 1 year ago

It's okay, but not great. Still need repair to Obamacare. I want to some change to make it better for everyone.

• 1 year ago

It has made my healthcare worse by increasing the number of people in the system without increasing the supply of caregivers. It has made my taxes worse because most of those brought into the system are not paying enough to cover the cost they receive.

It is a double negative.

• jakemcclake
      1 year agoReport

You know part of the ACA attempted to fund healthcare education to improve the healthcare workforce. I am not certain it did not increase the healthcare workforce.

• Nick
    1 year ago

Needs work but overall solid health care plan.

• koalatcomics
      1 year agoReport

solid is NOT a law based on a lie that you had to pass to see whats in it. solid is NOT the cornhusker kickback. NOT comprehending that is a special kind of stupid only a snowflake can truly own.

1 year ago

I think Obama dont care. Lol

• jakemcclake
      1 year agoReport

Obama and the people who wrote the law care

about

healthcare patients!

1 year ago

Our policy doubled thanks to the monster Obanga. A first class loser.

• Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

The Unaffordable Careless Act screwed everything and everyone.

• Lolly
    1 year ago

Saving lives.

• jakemcclake
      1 year agoReport

koalatcomics resorts to namecalling because this individual has not got the slightest idea what Hospital Acquired Conditions have to do with Obamacare,
      and how that section of it,
      has saved lives,
      but
      I do!

1 year ago

Not a fan at all. I don't care for anything that is government run.

• jakemcclake
      1 year agoReport

Hospitals in response to EMTALA charge everyone more money. So in a sense removing the mandate means we all have to pay hospitals more. And for koalatcomics, who did you imagine is the author of the super massive, incredibly complex ACA? There is no one author.