Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 12 months ago

if I want to plant another tree in EXACT same spot ....will I be able to grind down enough to eliminate stump and its tap roots completely?

I have a stump that have been digging around and have it dug down good on all sides, but it still wont budge. I don't know what else could be holding it in the ground except tap roots underneath the stump. so at this stage would it make more sense to try and pull it out with a pick up truck and chain OR get a iron wedge and try to break /split the stump in half vertically? (and even if I could do this, what is that going to allow?) can explain?

SORRY TO EXPLAIN BETTER QUESTION...MEAN USING A STUMP GRINDER

• stone
    Favorite Answer

When I cut a tree down, I never expect to be able to plant anything in that spot until such time as the stump has completely decayed.

depending on the tree, this can take as short as a year to happen, or an entire lifetime might go by with the stump remaining in place.

When asking a question like this, it pays to be specific... tell us what you had, and what happened to it.

• Lv 4

Bradford Pear

burn the stump .

To plant a tree it that spot you need to remove the entire stump and then add good compost or soil to that spot. Let any compost sit for a few months before planting a new tree.

I'd just grind down level and see if I could find a spot to plant the new tree. Dead roots will rot away and become organic matter to feed the new tree.

take your wedge and maul to the stump -- break it into pieces. you'll soon be able to pull some of the pieces out and can then see what's going on

Some trees have shallow roots, such as evergreens. Those stumps are much easier to remove. It helps to saturate the soil with water - it makes everything looser. Other trees, such as oaks and beeches, have very extensive root systems.

If you're not in a hurry, the stump can be treated with acid (I think phosphoric acid works well for this). However, this method takes months.