Does UK have excellent health system?

Is the NHS flawless.

Favorite Answer

It sucks. Access controls and waiting lists make it a death sentence for people with serious illnesses requiring surgery and consultation. LOL

The NHS has centres of excellence and provides world class emergency care and reasonably good primary healthcare. Like any healthcare system funded from taxation, it has budget constraints. This means that there is a degree of rationing of elective (non-essential, non-urgent) procedures.

The NHS is far from perfect. No healthcare system is perfect. In terms of cost-effectiveness, the NHS is world class in that it achieves a lot on a limited budget.

It could do better if its information systems were updated. This has been tried but it failed because the project proved so expensive, the data sources so diverse and the information flows so unpredictable due to lack of uniformity within NHS specialisms and regions.

It could do better if it could retain skilled staff but the reality is that NHS jobs are highly demanding and not well paid so skilled staff can earn more elsewhere. Perversely, they can earn more by LEAVING the NHS and then working for it as agency staff on much higher wages and with less responsibility. The high costs of agency staff eats into budgets for patient healthcare.

My main concern is its lack of a holistic approach. It treats ailments, not people. Patients with complex healthcare needs lack anyone doing the 'joined-up' thinking. It should be done by their GP but, when GPs insist on only talking about ONE subject per visit (because of time and budget constraints), the outcome is that there is no one to do the joined up thinking. This is made more pressing by GPs being so overloaded it can take 3-4 weeks to get a non-emergency appointment.

The reason GPs are so overloaded is that there are not enough of them. Not enough doctors want to work as GPs and experienced GPs are motivated to retire early by the pressure of work and changes to pensions law that limits the size of the pension pot they can accumulate. They have no incentive to stay as General Practitioners.

On balance, the UK has a good healthcare system with excellence alongside inadequacy in some areas. We get what we taxpayers pay for. I find it necessary to pay for private treatment from time to time to get the healthcare I feel I need.

• Mimi

They don't use lidocaine as much in the UK as it's used in the US. Dermatologists in the UK are butchers .

They have super long wait times.

I had what I thought was kidney pain all last week. Walked into my local surgery at 8:45 and saw a doctor at 11:30. The next day made an appointment for some routine bloods at 10: 15, they told me to come back at 10:45 and saw a nurse. I needed a non urgent endoscopy last year, I waited less than a month.

Is the system flawless hell no but the UK would be a far worse country if we didn't have it.

No

But it's better than nothing

Not really.

Nothing is flawless. Thinking something is flawless is failure to observe. Thinking anything can be is foolish.

Never having had to use it I don't know. I live in the US. I have two ex-pat friends living in England and they seem pleased with it.