Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 10 months ago

Atheists, how do you explain this?

I’m Agnostic myself but lean towards atheism. I have noticed something that I’m unable to rationally explain. I swear what I’m going to say is the truth.

So thing is if I do some kind of mental ritual in my head then good things start to happen in my life. I get the “feeling” that I will get “bad luck” from certain things so I avoid those things. Crazy thing is if don’t avoid those things BAD THINGS ACTUALLY HAPPEN. I know it’s crazy but true.

If I do my mental rituals and avoid things I ‘feel’ are “bad luck” then good things happen in my life. How do you explain this phenomenon rationally?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

U and every other poster must be totally insane to even question this. It is your instinct, your intuition. I don't say superstition may not play a part in it but it is by no means irrational. If I am searching for a lost object, I try various strategies and look in ever more obscure places and eventually one of these guesses pays off. But it is not random. It is an intelligent search every step of the way. I hope to randomly come across it but by no means depend on that. (Otherwise I would probably have already found it.) It is good to analyze your feelings, with a view to eliminating stupid stuperstition.

• 10 months ago

Simple, state of mind matters and you are superstitious. The problem with testing this is you "believe" there will be bad luck if you go against your feelings where you don't test this every single time. If you did, you might discover that every time you felt bad things were going to happen they might not. Even you did do thorough testing and in every case something bad happened, "bad" is subjective and your state of mind could actually be creating the bad situations. It's sort of like feeling you want get served food from a restaurant and then showing up after they've closed and confirming your feelings to be accurate. People who experience a lot of bad luck usually set themselves up in this manner.

• steve
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

Believe me it has got nothing to do with god.

I often feel the same.

I think about things that I want to happen and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't .

That has nothing to do with god it is called positive thinking.

If you wish for something to happen and it does it is pure luck.

Similarly if something bad happens it is again down to misfortune.

• 10 months ago

It cannot be explained rationally.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Elle
    Lv 4
    10 months ago

This is called the Law of Attraction or The Secret. Welcome to what millions of people already know.

• 10 months ago

"I’m Agnostic myself but lean towards atheism" makes absolutely no sense. Theism is the belief in gods, atheism is the lack of belief in gods. Everyone is either a theist or an atheist, they either believe in gods or they don't. There are no shades of grey, no fences to sit on. You can't "lean towards atheism", you are either an atheist or you are not.

Agnosticism is not about belief and has nothing to do with theism or atheism. It is about knowledge. The agnostic says that it is impossible to know if gods exist therefore whether they do or not has to be a matter of belief. Most atheists and many theists are also agnostics.

You are just experiencing confirmation bias. It is very common.

• 10 months ago

That's simply confirmation bias.

You think if you do a thing then good stuff happens, alternately... if you do another thing, bad stuff happens, the reality is both good and bad things happen in our lives all the time. All you're doing is attributing them to one thing or another.

If you expect good things... you look for and see good.

If you expect bad things... you look for and see bad.

And you may even be doing this on a subconscious level.

• Duck
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Self-fulfilling prophecy. If you believe enough that bad things will happen, you'll find a way to make it reality.

• 10 months ago

Confirmation bias, self-fulfilling prophecy

• 10 months ago

Karma. Buddhism bad leads to bad, good leads to good.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.