I have trouble making eye contact and I always feel miserable?

Like, when i’m walking past people i always look away or look down and then they think that i’m either sad or I hate them. This one coworker usef to make fun of me for it calling it the “(insert my name here) look” she made a laughing stock of me!

When I was younger people always said that I stared at them too much. Now everyone is saying that I look away too much and always look angry/sad. I don’t know how to fix this!

Favorite Answer

I’m in the same boat as you. As a child, I almost always averted eye contact, save for with immediate family members who I felt comfortable with. I always have found eye contact extremely intimidating. Even as an adult, I have to force myself to look people in the eyes. I just feel so small, inadequate and afraid when I have do so. And seeing people looking at me in the eyes makes me feel uncomfortable.

Also, I am and have been miserable for over a decade. You are not the only one.

• Janet

Yes, it can feel very "threatening" to make direct eye contact with someone.

So what you do, instead, is to look at the point between their eyebrows. THEY think you are looking them in the eye, but YOU are not so it doesn't feel emotionally threatening.

If you also look pleasant while you are doing this, people think you like them.

relax...People wont bite.

Asep dear, you need a jump of confidence!

Being 20 is not easy, and you'll get the boost not long from now.

Give it your best every day.

If you have any more questions, send me an Email.

~Aizen