Kathy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 year ago

Should I inform my supervisor of this nasty email my colleague sent me?

As the team leader at my job, I assign projects & keep track of them. Our boss requires us to estimate how long it took to do a task. Shortly before dismissal early this week, I urged one of my teammates to give me his hours. He just emailed me his time chart. It wasn’t what I wanted; I expected a finished answer, e.g. 4 hours, 2 days, etc. So, I emailed him friday asking him again for how long it took him to complete that project. He replied, “Um, didn’t I send you what was on my hard drive tuesday?" along with his time chart as an attachment. So, I called his name from my seat while he was at his and told him to add up those numbers. He demanded, “Why can’t you do it?” Then I told him that it wasn’t my job. When I checked my mail a few minutes later, I saw that he sent me, “I got 26 hours on 4607. What I do is go to Excel, type in those times, use the sub formula, & then the drag tool. It’s not that hard! Speaking of something that’s *not your job* what you’ve done before was no different. You often asked me put YOUR folders away for you since you carelessly left them on your desk, piling up!”

• Foofa
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

If this employee's accusations are correct I wouldn't bring it to the attention of the supervisor that you're not doing your job correctly. Just because someone's tone is snarky doesn't mean the factual content of their email is incorrect.

• 1 year ago

he was mad. you should let him know that his conduct is unacceptable but not really that bad. always explain WHY you want someone to do something they don't want to do. a simple WHY regardless of the request is something like 80% more successful than just asking for a favor.

• 1 year ago

If you need to ask RANDOM STRANGERS what to report to your boss, you should be FIRED as a team leader. You just CONFESSED to not being qualified for that position.

Now what was in the e-mail?

OK, there was NOTHING nasty about sending you a time chart in answer to asking his hours. The chart IS what you claim you asked for. You just confessed to not even knowing what a time chart is OR what the job I don't believe you ever had is.

I stand corrected. You shouldn't be fired, because that would require you to be hired first.

• 1 year ago

You do not want to alienate people you work with. Is what he did really that bad. If he continues to be insubordinate, then you may want to consider this.

• STEVEN F
      1 year agoReport

The closest to insubordination here is the attitude of the person LYING about being a team leader. or any kind of leader for that matter.

• 1 year ago

He did give you what you asked for. Geez! He was right. All you had to do was use that formula in Excel. It takes only about 2 minutes. You sound like one of those nasty group leaders who nit-picks everything.

• STEVEN F
      1 year agoReport

Closer to 2 seconds that 2 minutes.

• You’re the guy’s supervisor. You should handle it. If you go to your boss he will think you’re incapable of solving problems.

• STEVEN F
      1 year agoReport

He ISN'T anyone's supervisor. He only claims to be.