Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 11 months ago

i signed up for low income housing for the disable and I have 2 service dogs and I was told by the housing authority that I can have only?

one pet ,well I informed the lady my service dogs are not my pets though I love them dearly but they are my service animals and I have a medical prescription letter personally written and signed by my doctor ,the lady went on to as me what was my disability and how does my 2 dogs provide service for me and said she need more proof for my service dogs as in a government letter ???and she said other tenants will be mad because I will have 2 dogs to their one what ae my rights

Favorite Answer

The way that is worded, I am not quite sure what you are asking...I know I attempted the same thing where I live (no service dog, but am disabled), and there was something like a 8 year waitting list...(also didn't like them pushing to inspect the "living" facilities - All I rent is land, we OWN a trailer setting on that land, so I figure inspect the land but leave the trailer alone since the land is all we rent).

You are entitled to "one" service dog. IF that one service dog cannot handle all of your disabilities and that is the reason why you have two dogs - for example, one to sense a seizure and the other to pick up things because you don't have arms, then the ADA might have allowed you to have two dogs, because they did not have one that could handle both jobs that you need performed for you. However, if one dog can handle your disabilities and the other is more or less a pet or a back up, then you might have to get rid of it. Get some proof, from your doctor, or the ADA that both dogs are needed for your disabilities because they didn't have one dog that can do everything that you need done for you.

You got caught in a fraud. What's your question?

ONLY one. That's the rules.

• Star_of_Darkness

Nope. Some one can have only ONE service dog. And OP is not even disbaled and addmited they are not even service dogs but pets that she's trying to pass off as service dogs

Your "rights" depend on WHERE YOU ARE. "Service dog" provisions in leases are not Federal law nor are they International Law.

If your Physician says "a" service dog, he/she means one. Get a revised letter explaining the need for two. Get a revised letter stating that surrendering one of the dogs will cause you emotional/mental problems.

Find another place to live.

• Star_of_Darkness

Nope. Some one can have only ONE service dog. And OP is not even disabled and addmited they are not even service dogs but pets that she's trying to pass off as service dogs

You can only have one. You have to have a letter from your Psychiatrist prescribing you a Service Dog. The dog will need to be able to do at least 5 things for you, that you cannot do yourself.

What you have are ESAs & you can only have one. A letter from your Psychiatrist is needed for that too.

There are quite a few people like you trying to scam the system & I think it is very disgusting & low to do this this way.

What is your disability? Why do you need a dog to assist you? Landlords/managers have to stay on top of the laws cause of people like you. If you don't have the proper paper work, look for another place to live that will allow you to keep both dogs. You may have a very hard time finding a pet friendly apartment & may have to buy a home just to keep your dogs.

• Star_of_Darkness

These arent service dogs. They are emotional support animals. For ESAs, you are requesting "reasonable accomodation"... Reasonable to have ONE... Why do you need TWO?

Housing can request more documentation.

• Ocimom

NO one has more then one LEGIT service dog. You have ESA's which are NOT service dogs as they do NOT preform a task for you that you are unable to do.

So the LL is in his/her right to tell you ONE pet is allowed. So you will need to rehome one of your ESA dogs if you want to live there.

• Star_of_Darkness

• Maxi

Guide Dogs for the blind are service dogs who are nationally registered as such and internationally recognised , the person gets one dog which is specifically trained to service all the needs of the individual person, not and never two. ...So it sounds like you have two pet dogs and are jumping on the weird US idea that you can bypass laws by getting your pet/s 'precribed' by your doctor but that doesn't make them true service dogs until recognised as such by the national Government

And therefore you should be able to answer her and satisfy her questions if this is genuine. What job does each service dog do and why can't one do everything.

Really is about time ALL service dogs had to be authorised via a governing body and organisation that confirms that the dogs DO actually do what they are supposed to... such as 'guide dogs'. They wouldn't be allowed out on the street leading a blind person until totally fully trained and qualified.

Sorry but I'm with the authorities here, and if all was genuine then you should be able to prove what they're asking.