Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 year ago

Doesn't the bible condemn the use of "graven images" as idolatry? Then how come they are so prominently displayed in RC churches and rituals?

1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

True. There are too many verses to list on not making idols, using idols...etc...

Turn ye not unto IDOLS, nor make to yourselves molten gods: I am the LORD your God. - Leviticus 19:4, KJV

And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them. - Psalm 106:36, KJV

The idols of the heathen are silver and gold, the work of men's hands. - Psalm 135:15, KJV

Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: - Isaiah 2:8, KJV

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. - Exodus 20:14, KJV

Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God. - Leviticus 26:1, KJV

Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, - Deuteronomy 4:16, KJV

Take heed unto yourselves, lest ye forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which he made with you, and make you a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, which the LORD thy God hath forbidden thee. - Deuteronomy 4:23, KJV

7, Thou shalt have none other gods before me. 8, Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth: 9, Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me, - Deuteronomy 5:7-9, KJV

Neither shalt thou set thee up any image;8 which the LORD thy God hateth. - Deuteronomy 16:22, KJV

Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image, an abomination unto the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and putteth it in a secret place. And all the people shall answer and say, Amen. - Deuteronomy 27:15, KJV

Who hath formed a god, or molten a graven image that is profitable for nothing? - Isaiah 44:10, KJV

Every man is brutish7 by his knowledge; every founder is confounded by the graven image: for his molten image is falsehood, and there is no breath in them. - Jeremiah 51:17, KJV

They shall be ashamed, and also confounded, all of them: they shall go to confusion together that are makers of idols. - Isaiah 45:16, KJV

That I may take the house of Israel in their own heart, because they are all estranged from me through their idols. - Ezekiel 14:5, KJV

Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves1 from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations. - Ezekiel 14:6, KJV

As for you, O house of Israel, thus saith the Lord GOD; Go ye, serve ye every one his idols, and hereafter also, if ye will not hearken unto me: but pollute ye my holy name no more with your gifts, and with your idols. - Ezekiel 20:39, KJV

I will do these things unto thee, because thou hast gone a whoring after the heathen, and because thou art polluted with their idols. - Ezekiel 23:30, KJV

¶ Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. - Ezekiel 36:25, KJV

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen. - 1 John 5:21, KJV

Asshur shall not save us; we will not ride upon horses: neither will we say any more to the work of our hands, Ye are our gods: for in thee the fatherless findeth mercy. - Hosea 14:3, KJV

But where are thy gods that thou hast made thee? let them arise, if they can save thee in the time of thy trouble:16 for according to the number of thy cities are thy gods, O Judah. - Jeremiah 2:28, KJV

I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. - Isaiah 43:11, KJV

An IDOL defined: an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship. [2] hero, heroine, star, superstar, icon, celebrity, celebutante

• 1 year ago

The bible does not condemn the use of graven images. It condemns the worship of graven images.

1 year ago

Numbers 21:8 And the Lord said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

Next, tell me about Exodus 25.

• 1 year ago

Actually the Bible is fine with art... worshipping statues is a no-no. Decorating with them is fine.

• 1 year ago

More than that, the Bible condemns Roman Catholicism..

Why do you think the Roman Catholic Church kept the Bible from the people for hundreds of years persecuting to death those that sought the Bible?

At the cost of much blood the Bible was made more freely and widely available and the power and control of the RCC diminished considerably.

• 1 year ago

Professional Appolgist:Tim Staples, answers...

https://youtu.be/-K-I8RPHwTY

Youtube thumbnail

• 1 year ago

Because there were influences outside Christianity that brought them in with them. And all you need over the centuries are scholars who are rhetorically skilled at justifying nearly anything, until you end up with all those garments, rituals, gestures, sub-doctrines, legalistic rules, Purgatory, etc.

And that can be tracked!

Prayers for the dead – 300 AD

Making the sign of the cross – 300 AD

Veneration of angels & dead saints – 375 A.D.

Use of images in worship – 375 A D.

The Mass as a daily celebration – 394 AD

Beginning of the exaltation of Mary; the term, "Mother of God" applied at Council of Ephesus – 431 AD.

Extreme Unction (Last Rites) – 526 AD

Doctrine of Purgatory (Gregory I) – 593 AD

Prayers to Mary & dead saints – 600 AD

Worship of cross, images & relics – 786 AD

Canonization of dead saints – 995 AD

Celibacy of priesthood – 1079 AD

The Rosary – 1090 AD

Indulgences – 1190 AD

Transubstantiation (Innocent III) – 1215 AD

Auricular Confession of sins to a priest – 1215 AD

Adoration of the wafer (Host) – 1220 AD

Cup forbidden to the people at communion – 1414 AD

Purgatory proclaimed as a dogma – 1439 AD

The doctrine of the Seven Sacraments confirmed – 1439 AD

I'm convinced a 3rd century Christian wouldn't recognize the Roman Catholicism of today. So much changed doctrinally.

Source(s): bisexual Christian
    1 year ago

Catholics are idolatrous. They’re condemned.

• Michze
    1 year ago

The bible is a fairy story written by humans.

El, Yahweh, Semiramis, Rhea Silvia, Miriam are images and statues.

1 year ago

Yes. Exodus 20:4,5 says idolatry includes “anything that is in the heavens”, so that includes Mary, who they worship, pray, and kneel to.

1 year ago

At the risk of some users mistaking me for a Christian, the command was issued during a time when humans quite literally worshipped statues, not the beings they symbolized.