I am concerned about freezing water lines while traveling in the winter. They aren't insulated and I won't have time to before my trip.Tips?

I am concerned because when I bought this (foreclosed) home it had plumbing damage due to frozen pipes. But I think this happened while the heat was off.

I have lived here for about 3 years with no issues so far. When it gets cold (single digits and below) my strategy has been to remove the access panel to the crawl space and open vanity/cabinet doors to let heat flow into these areas.

If I have had no issues so far (and have had several periods of multiple days hovering around zero (F), then do you think I am safe as long as I do my current strategy while traveling? Any other tips?? (I keep thinking about insulating them, just haven't got to it yet.)

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You can also leave the tap on just a trickle. By allowing a small amount of water to move through the pipes at all times you make it much harder for the water to freeze.

• 11 months agoReport

That movie was hilarious though

• John P
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Turn the water off at the main stop-cock where it enters your house or apartment. Then leave a few taps (faucets) open within the house.

• 11 months ago

then turn the water off before you leave

• Steve
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Get some heat tape and wrap it around the pipes. Or, get some INCANDESCENT bulbs and set them up near the pipes from an extension cord. If you're writing this, you have time. And leave your cabinet doors open in the house.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

You DO have time. The trip isn't as much of a priority as you want to believe.

• 11 months ago

Easiest chapest option is turn the water off at the main and open all the taps to drain leftover water. when you come home close them and turn the water back on and open a few until the water runs clear and has no air pockets also dont forget to flush a couple times to drain that line also FYI turning off the water is very simple, Home Depot sells a tool looks like a T with a U on the end, very cheap and you just go to the water meter in the yard

• Mark
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

If this person does that, he should also turn off the water heater. Elements tend to burn out VERY quickly (like in 15 minutes or so) if they are not under water.

• 11 months ago

you're likely good. and to be safe, ask a friend ro neighbor to check on the house after a severe cold period

• 11 months ago

you can winterize, turn off the main water and drain the pipes.

• The damage happens because ice takes up more volume than liquid water and liquid aren't compressible. Pressure builds up and it has to go somewhere, hence burst pipes and fittings. I would think that if you shut off the main water valve to the house and then opened up your faucets, then that'd give that water a place to go in case of a freeze.

I'm assuming that you're on the municipal water line, so they can handle pressure relief on their end.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.