Why can't I hear any sound on my dell desktop computer?

I have Windows XP and in the control panel, there is a kind of setting called "Sounds and Audio devices". Some of it is shaded in grey so I cannot even select any options.

Also, when I plug in headphones while watching a YouTube video, the headphones do not either work.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear your audio isn't working properly. Unfortunately Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. However there are a couple things that could be causing the issue. I would try and re install the sound drivers from Microsoft's Website here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ If they aren't available there isn't a software fix to the problem. The other thing is it could be is a physical issue with the Computer.

Thanks,

Agent Christian B. | Badge #114453

Consultation Agent

Geek Squad | Yahoo Answers! Knowledge Partner

• Login to reply the answers
  • P
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Did this computer originally have Windows XP installed on it? It sounds like you have corrupted or bad audio drivers. You can try reinstalling them or get a compatible usb sound dongle.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

when you plug in the headphones, you might have to go to the sounds area and check on the headphones for them to work

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.