Why can't I hear any sound on my dell desktop computer?

I have Windows XP and in the control panel, there is a kind of setting called "Sounds and Audio devices". Some of it is shaded in grey so I cannot even select any options.

Also, when I plug in headphones while watching a YouTube video, the headphones do not either work.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear your audio isn't working properly. Unfortunately Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. However there are a couple things that could be causing the issue. I would try and re install the sound drivers from Microsoft's Website here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ If they aren't available there isn't a software fix to the problem. The other thing is it could be is a physical issue with the Computer.

Thanks,

Agent Christian B. | Badge #114453

Consultation Agent

Geek Squad | Yahoo Answers! Knowledge Partner

01.21.19

• P
    1 year ago

Did this computer originally have Windows XP installed on it? It sounds like you have corrupted or bad audio drivers. You can try reinstalling them or get a compatible usb sound dongle.

1 year ago

when you plug in the headphones, you might have to go to the sounds area and check on the headphones for them to work