Do CVT transmissions on Honda’s last just as long a regular automatic?

• Geo
    Best Answer

Yes, When serviced on schedule, most call for every 50K changes. And they do use Special ATF. Maintained CVTs have gone 250K, which is as long as any Transmission holds up.

No. There have been so many problems with CVT transmissions that the factories have been giving extended warranties to customers.

This is why it's best to go to the dealer at 60,000 miles to have the CVT tranny serviced! Then you have a record of taking care of the vehicle and have a chance to get the CVT tranny replaced for free when it goes bad.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

It should, yes

The 'T' in CVT already stands for 'Transmission', no need to say transmission after CVT.

First off, the system is not a sealed system. You need to check and change out the fluid inside as it will get old and gunk up just like your traditional automatic transmission. It is most likely a drain and fill only, not flush. My car holds 10 qts of fluids total, I can only drain approximately 5 qts. Fill 5 qts or however many qts you are able to drain out.

See your owner's manual for inspect and replace, as each vehicle differs...

After driving a car equipped with CVT I can say I much prefer traditional automatic transmission. Not as loud and you can actually feel the power when it jumps into gear. Fluids are much cheaper too. I personally don't think CVT will last as long as your traditional automatic transmission as it is lightweight and not built to last.