Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 year ago

Is it safe to keep a small bottle of motor oil in your car for the event of an emergency?

• M.
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, as long as you don't injure the container and get oil in your interior or trunk or boot.

I carry a quart of oil and a container of brake fluid and a gallon of 50-50 antifreeze normally. I carry two or three quarts of oil if I am travelling. Otherwise, I can get a quart easily during daytime in my area.

I check my oil often. It's just a habit. I also check my brake lights, turn signals and running lights when I am in the vicinity of a large reflective window at night. You just need to glance, tap the brake pedal and rock the turn signal lever back and forth while watching the reflection. A headlight out is rather obvious at night.

I also glance at my tires regularly, since I don't have a low tire pressure warning system.

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972. Retired in 2018.

• joensfca
      1 year agoReport

I always carried a roll of TP too.

• 1 year ago

what are you going to do with it? drink it?

• 1 year ago

I carry several quarts (or a 5 quart jug) of oil in every one of my vehicles, along with a gallon or more of 50/50 mix coolant, brake fluid, and other fluids, It is totally safe, It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

• 1 year ago

What emergency would a small bottle of oil prevent? Dip your oil regularly and top up when required.

• Steve M
      1 year agoReport

An emergency isn't always necessary. For example, some higher mileage 2nd generation Toyota Prius start burning oil unexpectedly. I always carry an extra quart. I don't want to be caught short of oil if I happen to check the car at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere and the car needs it.

• 1 year ago

Yes

1 year ago

no point in it if you check oil regularly , if you check it regularly and then have a problem you are likely to need a lot more than a small bottle

• Lv 5
      1 year agoReport

One qt is a Lot better than Nothing. Might be enough to get oil pressure hi enough to Get to a gas station.

• 1 year ago

Yes. But unless your car uses something like Mobile 1, I would not do it. If the oil light comes on you can just pull into a gas station and buy a quart or two of regular oil, you do not need to carry it in your car.

• 1 year ago

Not only is it safe, it is RECOMMENDED by just about every mechanic I have ever talked to.

With the exception of gasoline, it isn't unusual to keep bottle of EVERY fluid used by the vehicle in the trunk. That would include oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, washer fluid, and antifreeze/coolant.

• hihi!

In Russia many drivers carry all these fluids and more. BMWs come with tools.

1 year ago

buy it in plastic quart bottles & keep two in you trunk, but no GLASS bottles .................

• 1 year ago

yea. people have been doing that for many decades. people that own cars that use up oil carry oil with them so they don't run their oil level too low and break down.

1 year ago

Yes