How come when the Dems had the majority in both houses in 2010 they were able to pass the lgbt hate-crime bill, but not ENDA?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I agree mostly with Lois. The ACA did take way way too long to debate - Obama should have wrapped that up in a year. But I think too much energy was spent on same sex marriage and not enough on enda. Frankly I think enda is more important. But we got put in situations where we had to stand together and fight for marriage equality. Another thing - top dems were taking too long to “evolve” their thinking and pass gay rights.

But when things change and Trump is gone (hopefully impeached or resigned in disgrace) - enda should be a priority in my opinion.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Their majority lasted literally TWO WEEKS.

• 11 months ago

The difference between the two is that the hate-crime bill simply addressed the prosecution of a certain class of crimes, but ENDA addressed business practices. In 2010 the number one agreed-upon concern was the financial health of the USA, so all legislators were sensitive to becoming associated with a new law or policy that was said to make things harder for business-people, especially small businesses. ENDA placed requirements on businesses as small as 15 employees, introducing a new area where the business owners would have to study up on requirements - and a new legal vulnerability if they should make a mis-step in hiring or managing their employees' work. Not surprisingly, many legislators who felt they could support the hate-crime bill safely did NOT feel the same about ENDA.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

You want gays to be selling cowboy wear and sporting goods? LOL The woman customers will be running fast at Victoria's Secret if they had men sales people.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

Priorities. If Democrats solve a problem they can't get people to vote for them again on a promise to solve that problem. Democrats were assured of good press from the lgbt community while they ignored the far larger number of people who would have benefitted from ENDA, who will have to support Democrats again if they want to see that legislation passed.

• 11 months ago

1. the debate on ACA took too long

2. They were too stubbornly focused on repealing DADT that they didn't prioritize it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.