URGENT One of our neighbors keeps connecting to our onkyo tx nr676 to blast garbage music. It's 12:30 am. Please help me?

We can't turn off the system because they can just turn it back on as soon as they reconnect. They're using airplay to connect to the onkyo and play music. We've tried changing the wifi password since airplay piggybacks off of it to connect to other devices on the same band width. Here's the thing, I can disconnect the speakers easily so it doesn't matter, I just want revenge. Is there a way I can locate a device connecting to our WiFi, and using airplay to out devices? If so please explain. Thank you so much, please help me get revenge (unless it's the people with small children or early working hours)

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

If you are using WPA2 encryption on your WiFi, change the pass phrase and pick a good long random sequence of characters including letters, numbers, punctuation and other symbols on the keyboard.

Disable WPS and UPnP in the router.

On any Windows 10 PCs, disable the stupid facility to tell your contacts the credentials of your WiFi network(s).

Make sure there are no trojans on your computers that are sending information to the enemy. I count Windows 10 as a potential trojan.

Check what MAC addresses are connecting to your network. These should be listed in the router's network pages and possibly its log files. The first half of the MAC address will indicate the type of network chip and possibly the type of device that is connecting.

Use MAC address white list or black list filtering in the router to allow only your devices or block alien devices.

Turn off the WiFi network during the night. many routers include settings to do this automatically.

Make sure there is no port forwarding configured in the router that is allowing access that way rather than by WiFi. Also make sure the DMZ and remote management of the router are disabled.

Is the NR676 controlled using infrared, WiFi or Bluetooth. If it is IR, then it is possible that a neighbour may be triggering your unit unintentionally when they control their unit. If it is Bluetooth, could a second controller be paired with your unit?

Finally, although I mentioned it first, changing the WiFi pass phrase should be done as a last step if WiFi is the source of the control. However, if a good random pass phrase does not stop the problem, I would be inclined to suspect IR. Bluetooth should not normally be an issue as most systems require authorisation of some sort to allow pairing to take place.

I hope this helps.

• VP
      1 year agoReport

All very fine suggestions, until you realize the woman really WANTS REVENGE! Well, we can help you stop the intrusion, but there's not a way to track the loser who's messing with your gear. Unless you happen to find a group of people laughing at you during the next attack.

• 1 year ago

Why get revenge against someone who is teaching you a valuable lesson in network security? You have to start somewhere... and now you might learn that your hard-earned money is not being spent on security, but on profit from device manufacturers who put service and security LAST. Makes support cheaper, you see - switch everything on, wide-open by default so it 'just works'. The maximum passphrase length for WPA2 is what 63 characters? Use it - with a shorter-password guest network for when you don't want to add new devices with such a long password entry procedure. Simple.

• 1 year ago

Edit- I can disable the music. That's not the problem. I want to TRACK THE LOCATION of the device doing it so I can either take revenge on my neighbors or politely ask them to use their own sound system.

• Bill-M
    1 year ago

What do you mean you can't turn off the system.? Sure you can. UN PLUG the power cord to your WIFI Router. problem solved.

• Leah1 year agoReport

I feel like you didn't actually read the question. I can solve the problem of music blasting throughout the house- I want to track who's doing it.

• 1 year ago

Change the bluetooth password.

• Leah1 year agoReport

But then the person doing it doesn't have access to the systems so I can't find them.

• VP
    1 year ago

R.T.F.M. -- Works every time it's tried.

*F = Freakin'

• VP
      1 year agoReport

Actually, I started to help you by reading the User Manual to your receiver to see what could be done, when I reread your post. I noticed you wanted more revenge then you did a fix -- so I bailed and told you to read the manual yourself.

• YKhan
    1 year ago

Turn it off.

• Leah1 year agoReport

Read the question