Michael asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 years ago

Why do cities not have subdivisions?

I love the city because of its long blocks and streets. I love how the mailbox is on the front porch and how cars park in the street. I love how each house is unique and different on the outside.

Why are suburbs different? Why do they build them different? They have subdivisions. All the houses look the same. There are no detached car garages or alleys. The mailbox is on the street.

Why do they build the houses and streets differently in the suburbs, but cities have long blocks and streets? Who changed all of that and why?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

Residential buildings in cities often do look alike, especially the classic brownstone/rowhouse of many East Coast cities.

Suburbs tend to have a unified look because individual subdivisions are built by a single developer who usually uses a unified style. The older, post-war, suburbs will also have lots of houses which are basically identical. This is because America in the post WWII era was facing a housing crisis, with not enough houses for people, and particularly new middle class housing for a population which was seeing incomes rise after the Depression. The answer was tract housing, developed by the Levitt brothers on Long Island, where they essentially industrialized home construction. Limited variation in housing allowed them to quickly construct large numbers of buildings at cheap prices. But even without tract housing, an individual developer will tend to have stylistic tastes and quirks which will give a unified look to a development. I used to live in a suburb where the developer had been adamant that no two houses had the same floor plan or outside look. But the houses all still sort of looked somewhat similar in style because the same people had designed them.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Liberals sought to destroy his country but we stopped those communists in their tracks

• 2 years ago

Idiot contractors aka conservatives who like everything to look the same and have no character.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

You've been asking this question too much.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.