Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 year ago

First speeding ticket?

I live in Ohio. Got my first speeding ticket yesterday. I’m 18 years old. I was going 90 mph in a 60 mph highway. I was speeding because I had to use the restroom badly. I know speeding this much is not excusabl, but I’m just saying, this was the reason. I have to appear in court, and I don’t know what to say or do. This is where I need help. Is there anyway I can fight for a lesser sentence. maybe take a driving course in exchangeWhat do I say to the judgeShould I talk to the police officer beforehand?

• Robert
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Talk with the cop ahead of time. Tell him your story and ask if this once he could consider reducing the ticket to something without points. I am in New York, where sometimes they will do that. They might reduce it to something where you don't get points and therefor you won't have an insurance increase. They will give you a fine and if you get a fine with no points, pay it gladly and consider it a gift. At least that's how it works in New York, the greed state. I don't know about Ohio, but I assume the system is similarly structured. If you do get points, take a driver ed course to get them off your license.

• Robert
      1 year agoReport

Go to court early and find him and ask politely for a word with him. It is good news if he isn't there, as they must dismiss your case because they can not prosecute if he doesn't show up. You have a right to confront your accuser.

• 1 year ago

try to make it your last

• 1 year ago

90 in a 60 is reckless driving... you won't get a lesser sentence for that no matter what. You will get more points since Wreckless Driving is much more serious than just a speeding ticket.

1 year ago

Explain the situation when you go to court and ask for a driving course or safety course. They may go easy on you, they may not.

• Jas B
    1 year ago

Trying to excuse breaking the law for such a ridiculous reason is stupid, if you had been rushing to an emergency room, fleeing a pursuer, that is a legitimate reason.

Don't you realise you could have killed people, you put everyone on that road's life in danger.

Your excuse would probably get you a more severe sentence.

The best thing to do is acknowledge your mistake, express sincere regret and apologise to the judge.

• 1 year ago

EVERYONE claiming they were speeding to get to a restroom is lying to themself.

The ONLY thing worth saying is "I was STUPID and won't do it again". That won't reduce the penalty, but that won't happen regardless of what you say.

You should be eligible for traffic school, which blocks 2 points from counting against you towards a license suspension.

• STEVEN F
      1 year agoReport

You are STILL lying to yourself.
      Note: The fact you didn't REEK by the time the officer approached your car is COMPLETE proof you are lying to yourself about why you were speeding.

• 1 year ago

In my state, California, for routine traffic tickets you can go to traffic school, pay the fine and the ticket is dismissed. Your state may have a similar program

• STEVEN F
      1 year agoReport

30 mph over the limit IS NOT a 'routine traffic ticket'.

• 1 year ago

Generally, you will receive something in the mail automatically offering you a driver's education course where if you take it, it will cancel the ticket and not affect your driving record. TAKE THE COURSE.

If for some reason it isn't offered, pay the fine and there will be no court date.

• STEVEN F
      1 year agoReport

DEAD WRONG. For 30 mph over, a court appearance is MANDATORY. Traffic school WILL NOT be offered before the court appearance and NEVER cancels the ticket OR reduces the fine under Ohio law.