Do I record to HDD or SSD?

I record gaming videos on obs and I edit on Vegas 14. I bought an ssd and will use it as a boot drive and put my programs on it. Whenever I record should I record to my HDD or my SSD? I heard you shouldn’t record to an SSD. The SSD is big enough to store everything to it so that’s not an issue. My biggest concern is if the video is on the HDD and my program is on the SSD will I notice a speed boost or not?

Best Answer

The main thing that wears out an SSD is writing data. Using a screen recorder constantly writes data (usually about 2.1 MB/s for the one I'm using) to the drive that the videos are stored on. It might not sound like much, but it adds up over time. A mechanical hard drive, on the other hand, is mainly worn out by turning on and off and writing data doesn't affect it as much as it would with an SSD. And since the amount of data being written at once isn't that much, any modern SSD or HDD would easily be able to handle it without a noticeable impact on performance.

Record it to HDD, if your hdd is for bulk files.

• YKhan

Editing the videos should be done on the fastest drive available, therefore the SSD. However, once it's done editing, you can store them for long-term storage in the HDD. Also when recording the videos, there's no real difference between SSD or HDD, both are fast enough during recording. You just need fast response during editing.

If the SSD is big enough put everything on it.

An SSD is faster, but video recording goes at a certain speed, more speed is unnecessary and doesn't buy you anything.

The thing about an SSD is that every memory cell in an SSD can only be written to a certain number of times. As you use an SSD over months and years, some cells die and software automatically walls them off so you can't use them. So after several years the capacity of the SSD is a lot less and eventually you need to buy another one. This is why you put your OS on the SSD, because it's mostly reading, not much writing, and that's where you want the speed, in loading parts of Windows quickly.

OTOH the cost of SSDs is fading rapidly and some experts think 'mechanical' hard drives will disappear altogether in a few years because SSDs will be cheaper! And I've been using an SSD for about 2 years now, in my main computer, which I use for several hours a day, and it hasn't lost any capacity. (I use it only for Windows and programs.)

yes for sure

• olivia10 months agoReport

I recommend to use a video editor https://videoeditor.com/mac and save it at any format you want. I believe that SSD era has gone. There is an opportunity to watch/edit/save any video like you wish without any affords