What are some of the reasons hospitals attach an iv that drains blood and they just leave it in for days?

What are some of the reasons hospitals attach an iv that drains blood and they just leave it in for days? Ive sometimes been to a hospital and w no explanation, an uncomfortable iv needle kept in, nobody would remove it. Couldn't they just take blood w a syringe? So what type of stuff do they do when they leave... show more What are some of the reasons hospitals attach an iv that drains blood and they just leave it in for days? Ive sometimes been to a hospital and w no explanation, an uncomfortable iv needle kept in, nobody would remove it. Couldn't they just take blood w a syringe? So what type of stuff do they do when they leave these in. I just saw a pic of a cancer patient w a long tube of blood coming from her thigh, made me wonder the reason they may have for this. I recently heard of someone dying from sepsis or something similar bc they left the iv in for several days without changing it and it caused an infection.