Is this my fault at work?

Yesterday at work a lady and 3 guys with her were walking around the store (I work in a department store, specifically in the purse and wallet section) and the lady kept going around to different check out counters asking associates may I have a big bag? (Like the white ones you put your stuff in after you check... show more Yesterday at work a lady and 3 guys with her were walking around the store (I work in a department store, specifically in the purse and wallet section) and the lady kept going around to different check out counters asking
associates may I have a big bag? (Like the white ones you put your stuff in after you check out)
Then she came to my counter and asked. I told her I'm sorry ma'am but we are not allowed to give out bags. Did you already buy something and want a bag for a purchased item?
She said no I just want a bag and I told her no again. The guys she was with also had a little go pro camera and were facing it to the ceiling, probably looking for cameras.
I called security after she walked away and the security guard said he will watch them.
So she walks towards the shoe department which is not that far away from me but nobody was behind the register in that department. The lady hurried up and went behind the counter, grabbed a couple big bags, and then her and the guys quickly ran up the escalator.
The lady who works in the shoes came back and said what happened and I explained to her everything and she got mad at me. She said why didn't you yell at them to stop and run after them. I told her that wasn't my job, who knows these people could have a weapon. Then this co worker went around and told everyone I didn't stop them and now everyone is blaming me.
Is this at all my fault?