Paying money to volunteer...what should I do?

I have to get volunteering experience for grad school (health care field) and the hospital I was accepted to wants me to pay $60 for background check and uniform. It's a good opportunity, but all of the other hospitals in the area only charge $10-$15. My brother is telling me that I should go through with... show more I have to get volunteering experience for grad school (health care field) and the hospital I was accepted to wants me to pay $60 for background check and uniform. It's a good opportunity, but all of the other hospitals in the area only charge $10-$15.

My brother is telling me that I should go through with paying the $60 because it would be a great opportunity, but I am not sure. It just seems like a lot of money to put up for volunteering. Am I wrong for thinking this? I don't know.

Today is the last day to pay and I am not sure what to do. It's a lot of money that I don't really have right now and if I can pay less somewhere else, should I give this opportunity up?

I appreciate any advice.

Thank you!!
Update: It is a better opportunity because it's actually hands on experience instead of just volunteering at the gift shop, etc.