Does a healthy/good diet mean never eating out or eating junk food?

I’ve read if you want to lose weight and keep it off, whatever changes you make to achieve that must become your lifestyle, not a temporary fix. So, if someone changes their diet by dropping unhealthy food and cooking at home, does that mean never again eating any amount of junk food or eating out at restaurants (fast food or non-fast food) for the rest of their life?

I ask because I am trying to change my diet to lose weight. However, my boyfriend and I usually eat out (places like Red Lobster, Olive Garden, IHOP, and so on) for occasions like our birthdays, our anniversary, or holidays (Valentine’s Day, Christmas, and maybe Easter). So, does that need to go forever (for me, not him) for the sake of losing weight and not regaining it, or can I keep it? I’ve already given up junk food entirely. I won’t eat so much as a small piece of candy, but I didn’t remember about restaurants until this morning.

• Eva
    1 year ago

Of course you can still go to restaurants. You just have to be more careful with what you choose. The occasional indulgence is fine.

• Joe
    1 year ago

Really???? My wife has lost 95 pounds since Feb 2018, and we like to dine out occasionally. One of her favorite things to do is go to Dairy Queen and have a banana split and french fries (for dinner). So that is 520 for the banana split and 200 for the small fries. So that leaves her 630 calories of her 1350 for the day. So she will have oatmeal for breakfast (248 calories) and the leaves 382 calories for lunch. Normally ate a home, but that could be a 6' turkey club at subway.

Sometimes we will have lunch or dinner at Panera Bread, which is a pick 2, a Casear salad, broccoli cheese soup & roll (160 for salad, 230 for soup & roll 170) so 570 calories. Which leaves her 780 for her other 2 meals...

She eats whatever junk food she wants, potato chips, corn chips & salsa, brownies, ice cream bars, candy bars, etc, she just subtracts those calories from her daily total and that is what is left for her to eat.

Yesterday for lunch.... A ham & Swiss cheese sandwich (lettuce, tomato, onion & Italian dressing) and Lays potato chips, 421 calories...

You can eat pretty much anything you want as long as you stay within your daily calories... We've had meals at Burger King, and many other places, no sense in limiting your options, only your calories. Sometimes the more we limit our options the more cravings we get and the quicker we fail at weight loss.

Best wishes

1 year ago

Nope. When trying to lose weight you may need to be pretty strict but for maintenance you can eat more and as long as most of your diet stays pretty healthy its ok to eat out or eat junk on occasion.

• 1 year ago

Not at all, you are supposed to look at the 'bigger picture' here which means accepting that there will be times when eating highly caloric foods are very appealing options and there is no reason not to.

All you need to do is eat a moderate and balanced diet on a daily basis and then on special occassions eat as you please because you will still lose and maintain weight by doing that, it's how you eat on a regular basis that determines your weight not how you eat on holidays.

I don't understand why people ban things entirely either, it just makes you crave them more in the future and that is coming from someone who is battling with an eating disorder so trust me I know exactly what banning foods can do, I decided to ban potato chips when I first started to lose weight, I didn't like them much anyway so it was easy and when I entered recovery I ate more of those things than I had eaten in my life, it's hardly a coincidence is it?

And whilst I may not be the best at taking my own advice because I have a complex mental illness I have so much experience with weight loss that I am seldom wrong when advising other people, if you go out and eat a lot of food you do not need to compensate by cutting back too much afterwards because that one meal wont make any real difference anyway.

I completely let go over Christmas, ate what I wanted for 3 days straight and a week later my weight had actually dropped, then I freaked out a bit because I knew I was in danger so I spent another 4 days doing the same thing in a deliberate attempt to gain a few pounds, I was absolutely certain that I would gain 3 or 4 at least because I ate thousands of calories and guess what? I weighed myself this morning and I have gained 1 pound, yes 1 lousy pound of weight that even I laughed at because I could lose that easily again if I wanted to.

People worry far too much about how much 'damage' they can do in a day or even a week and forget that as much as losing weight takes time so does gaining it.

• 1 year ago

No, it means that you order more thoughtfully and selectively at such places. You don't get the lobster mac and cheese with extra butter or devour the breadsticks and ask for more.

It's about balance...so if you go out to a restaurant for dinner and have a cocktail and dessert, then for breakfast and lunch that day, you might have eaten fewer calories and more vegetable based things so that your body isn't totally deprived of good nutrition.

• Mark
    1 year ago

Of course not. But eating such food EVERY DAY (you know, like a certain orange American president) isn't good. Also, there are plenty of "healthy" choices when eating out. Restaurants don't ONLY serve high-fat, sodium-laden food.