If you re a Medical Lab Scientist, please help!?

I currently work as a research technician, but want to work in diagnostics as a medical lab scientist. Once I get my post-bac certificate in MLS, what is the best way to advance in the career and make more money? Could I just get a specialist certificate or would I need to get my Masters? School is very expensive, so I just want to make sure I m making the best choice and not going into debt unnecessarily. Thanks!

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

First get the CLS/MLS, then work and then see how you want to advance and where. Planning that far down the line before you have even started at the beginning is counter productive and where you work and want to work will determine any further training. Most CLSs, however, do not get masters in the clinical lab.

• nicole1 year agoReport

This was super helpful, thank you!

• 1 year ago

Just to add to the other helpful replies, this website should have NAACLS-accredited programs for MLS, for instance.

For those who would like to perform research or teach at university, a master's or even a doctorate (PhD) in a related field may be required.

• jannsody
      1 year agoReport

My apologies for inadvertently omitting that website: https://www.naacls.org/Find-a-Program.aspx

• 1 year ago

Get the Masters...in your line of work, it would be worth it to pursue a PhD to be honest...