kik283 asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 year ago

What happened when you were diagnosed with high blood pressure?

I went to the obgyn two weeks ago and she made a big deal that my blood pressure was high at 122/80. I started a healthy diet three days ago and have cut out caffeine. In these three days ..I have taken my blood pressure and it has been much higher every time. I get super nervous as soon as I see the machine. I am now in a total anxiety attack since last night. I just scheduled an appointment with my primary for March. I plan to eat healthy, exercise and lose weight between now and then. So my question is when you were diagnosed with high blood pressure did the doctor give you time to try to lose weight and get healthy before putting you on meds or did they put you on meds right away. Should I go see a doctor right away. My highest reading was 145/95 and I was in a panic. I am 37 and overweight.

• Joe
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Your obgyn is an idiot! 120/80 is normal. Blood pressure varies all the time, you can check it 5 times in 10 minutes and will most likely get 5 different readings! The reason you blood pressure keeps rising is because of your anxiety attacks. No need to go to a doctor right away, and I would seriously look for another obgyn! When you see you PCP in March, ask him/her about the reading of 122/80 and they will more than likely tell you it is nothing to be concerned about!

High blood pressure (stage1) is 130-139 over 80-89, so stop fretting! Losing weight and exercise can lower your blood pressure, and eating too much salt can raise it, along with stress. If you check your blood pressure after exercising, it will be elevated.

Best wishes

• 1 year ago

122 over 80 is not really high.

• Adam D
    1 year ago

That isn't high, for the current criteria that would be "elevated" blood pressure, the current criteria for normal is systolic less than 120, diastolic less than 80. Get ready for a checkup in which you have high blood pressure - you've already built this up in your mind so much that your anxiety is going to crank things up whenever they take your BP. You're going to have to figure out how to get over that, it's like a person on a diet letting the scale control their life.

We don't know your doctor, different doctors approach things differently. Some go straight to prescription, others may prefer to give you time for diet and exercise to help, it's entirely up to the particular doctor. Keep in mind that nobody can make you take medicine, even if it is prescribed. When my wife was found to have elevated blood pressure, she began taking medicine and exercising and eating better. Over time, as it improved, she went to a smaller dose, then no medicine at all.

• 1 year ago

145/95 is a bit over what they consider borderline high blood pressure. Maybe it would be a good idea to see the doctor for some medication to help with that? The medications do work.

take care

• Tavy
    1 year ago

That figure is NOT high, it's average.

Change your Doctor.

• kelvin
    1 year ago

you need to see a different doctor for a second opinion as that is not high

• Andy C
    1 year ago

I never was. After the coma, I had hypotension; too low BP.

Ironically, there are no meds for low BP, so I was prescribed coffee for the last month of my stay.

My wife was 37 when she was diagnosed with hypertension and she has been svelte her entire life. High BP runs in her family, especially with the females.

She CHOSE to go on meds, immediately. Medication is always your choice, but when an expert gives expert advice, you'd do well to listen.

We altered our diets to disclude all but <2000mg of salt per day (no salt will kill you), and she was able to halve the dosage of her medication.

During her pregnancy, her high BP was of great concern (preeclampsia). She ended up having preeclampsia and was only diagnosed bc her kidneys began to malfunction.

Because we don't consume sugar and other sources high in fructose like HFCS, honey, nectar, juice, molasses or maple syrup, her liver was so healthy that it never showed symptoms of preeclampsia.

Source(s): Pills are not your enemy, and our daughter is 8mo and healthy.
  • 1 year ago

It's not a huge deal, lots of people get hypertension around 30 and 40.

122/80 is NOT high blood pressure, it's SLIGHTLY above average. I think you panicking about it has been shooting it up. So it's probably not nearly as bad as you think.

You can definitely lose weight and eat less salt and your pressure will go down.