Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 11 months ago

Have people of color who work in animation, comics and game design ever been subject to any form of persecution or discrimination or bias?

Hi. As an African American writer and cartoonist, and more importantly as a Christian, I am just a little curious about this.

I don't know that much about the early days of American comics, but I know during the golden age of American animation there were a few African Americans working in animation. I don't know about other minorities (Hispanic/Latino Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians, Alaskan Natives, etc.) but there were probably a few who worked in animation and comics around this time also.

There've been handfuls of other African Americans and other people of color working in animation and comics since then. Cartoonists, animators, writers, voice actors, etc.

There are and have been a few people of color who work professionally in game design in the U.S.

Have people of color who work in animation, comics and game design ever been subject to any form of persecution or discrimination (racism, etc.) or bias (ethnic and/or cultural and/or other)?

Have people of color who wanted to work in these fields not been given jobs in them simply because they were people of color?

It's unlawful and unethical to discriminate against anyone on the basis of race and/or ethnicity and/or nationality.

Please help- thank you.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It was pretty obvious during the early days of the comics industry, along with most major industries in the United States, that many people of color faced discrimination. There were no black people working as full-time comic writers or editors at Marvel or DC until the late 1970s.

Even after the Civil Rights Movement, discrimination presisted. Writer Christopher Priest (Black Panther, Deathstroke) mentioned dealing with racism during the 70s and 80s. It got to a point where he was only asked to write books with black lead characters (Black Panther, Black Lightning). He briefly retired, then returned to comics recently when DC asked him to write their new Deathstroke comic; Priest only agreed to write the comic when he learned the main character is white.

• 11 months agoReport

Thank you Rebel.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

jssrpmsj

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.