Tim asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 11 months ago

Why do people who don't need welfare abuse it?

I have noticed over the years that many people(whom I have personally met and spoke with) abuse the kindness of our country's financial help system by simply using it as a lifestyle. Because welfare is ment to help people who are physically incapable of working or are in a rough patch and need A LITTLE help to get them back to the point of when they can support themselves. Instead lazy people and illegals want to use it as a free ride to take their personal money and spend it on drugs, toys or luxury good items rather than pay their rent or bills. That's just what I have personally seen in my experience. So why don't we make people on welfare and food stamps take mandatory drug test and provide proof they are trying to make their own life better by not relying on government handouts to live?

P.S i don't want to hear how it's impossible to raise a family In this economy because my mom worked two jobs and supported 6 children alone when I was growing up and she still managed to make it to all me and my siblings sports events WITHOUT goverment help. So that's not an excuse we may not have been rich with a million dollars house but we had a very happy family by simply being together warm and fed with a roof over our heads.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Some people are lazy and it's easier for them to live off of welfare and food stamps instead of actually working hard in a real job and supporting themselves and their families.

• 11 months ago

Human nature. The welfare system in the US is miniscule compared to most developed countries.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

It's called a rent-seeking behaviors. We have to learn Economics for many semesters to understand how to prevent them.

• Ray
    Lv 6
    11 months ago

I'll give you an example with a cat I had. I would give this cat a lot of food, and she would sit and get fat all day. When I gave her less food, she would still be hungry and go out and kill the rats which were stealing my chickens eggs.

If you offer people free money, they will take it. I knew many small business owners who under reported revenues, and would earn their regular money plus qualify for welfare which they took. It becomes a burdensome system.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

Because they are not punished for doing so. What punishment you collectively decide to impose as a society is up to you... mine is death... but how about you at least do something.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Why work when some schmucks will work and pay your way as well...that's the attitude of them.

• 11 months ago

Many states have tried mandatory drug tests for people on welfare. They stopped because they found they were spending a lot more money on the drug tests than they saved by kicking drug users off of welfare.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

dwusbzkk

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

jpkgjxsp

• Mog
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

"My mom survived" is not an argument. Some people survive cancer. That doesn't mean it's not deadly.

• Mog
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Nazis don't impress me

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.