Why do people who don't need welfare abuse it?

I have noticed over the years that many people(whom I have personally met and spoke with) abuse the kindness of our country's financial help system by simply using it as a lifestyle. Because welfare is ment to help people who are physically incapable of working or are in a rough patch and need A LITTLE help to... show more I have noticed over the years that many people(whom I have personally met and spoke with) abuse the kindness of our country's financial help system by simply using it as a lifestyle. Because welfare is ment to help people who are physically incapable of working or are in a rough patch and need A LITTLE help to get them back to the point of when they can support themselves. Instead lazy people and illegals want to use it as a free ride to take their personal money and spend it on drugs, toys or luxury good items rather than pay their rent or bills. That's just what I have personally seen in my experience. So why don't we make people on welfare and food stamps take mandatory drug test and provide proof they are trying to make their own life better by not relying on government handouts to live?
P.S i don't want to hear how it's impossible to raise a family In this economy because my mom worked two jobs and supported 6 children alone when I was growing up and she still managed to make it to all me and my siblings sports events WITHOUT goverment help. So that's not an excuse we may not have been rich with a million dollars house but we had a very happy family by simply being together warm and fed with a roof over our heads.