If vegetables in your refrigerator are not yet rotten but veering closer, does frying/steaming them in a pan help the situation?

Favorite Answer

it won't help them not rot. but will help you eat them. if they are not yet rotten they are still good to be used!

even if they are just a little soft. like a little.. if they start to liquidify then it's best to move on to something else!

The answers to create a soup or stew are good answers.

But, first, I would get a large bowl and fill it with cold water and some ice. Adding the veggies to this ice cold mixture will allow them to get rehydrated and make they ready to add to a salad. If they do not revive in the icy water, then make soup.

add to a homemade soup or yes u can steam or fry the veggies..............i often take the veggies like Celery....dice up n put in freezer bag so when i make a pot of soup or stew i can add the frozen diced up veggies before they go off*

• Ann

My recommendation would be to cut them up and put them in a stew or soup. Boiling is better for overripe vegetables than trying to pan-cook them.

• denise

LIGHTLY ROAST THEM, BLEND THEM, MAKE INTO A HEARTY SOUP.

SLICE, STIR FRY, PUT INTO A SPANISH OMELETTE, FRITATTA' OR INTO A TOMATO SAUCE LIKE A RATATOUILLE.

Some veggies you can steam and some you cannot. Celery is not really a veggie you can steam(unless you peel it first). Whereas an onion, you can. So it depends on what you have.

Imperfect veggies, ones that have a bruise, a soft spot that can be cut out are the perfect things to make soup out of. You can use up a lot of veggies in one soup.

If a veggie is soft steaming will not improve it.

Often they become soft because the moisture has begun to evaporate out. so soaking things like celery, green beans, carrots, potatoes in very cold water will help the veggies will take in the moisture and can become firm again.

There are veggies that should not be stored in the refrigerator though. Onions, potatoes, tomatoes...do better at room temperature. And do not store onions and potatoes in the same place. Both need well ventilated area and potatoes do better in low light.

I would fry them with garlic butter , maybe add some shrimp and beef make a dinner with it

Yes, cooking or freezing foods can delay rot.

Yes and no, I find, that with vegetables on the edge, cutting off the really bad bits, cooking them in a dish that requires a lot of actual cooking and seasoning heavily seems to mitigate the compromised flavour and texture somewhat.

A good stew, curry or soup or something. Something where the vej isn't just served as vej on its own. So I wouldn't steam and serve just like that. I'd try and mask the dodginess as much as I can.

Good luck xx

no