Why are Everton nicknamed the 'Toffees?'?

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I had no idea before you asked this question, I thought it might of been because they are a sticky team to play against. lol

But after researching just now, here is an excerpt as to why they are called the "Toffees":

Everton's nickname is the Toffees, or sometimes the Toffeemen. This comes from one of two toffee shops that were near their stadium at the time the club started. Both Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House and Old Mother Nobletts Toffee Shop claim to have started off the nickname. At first Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House was very popular with fans because it was near to their stadium. However, when the club moved to Goodison Park, they became close to Old Mother Nobletts Toffee Shop. There they sold sweets called 'Everton mints', which proved even more popular. Faced with going out of business, Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House got a licence to throw free toffees to the crowd inside the ground, before the match. This tradition continues even today. A teenage girl is chosen from the crowd to throw toffees to the crowd before the match, at half time and after the match

I think that now I have found this piece of information, I think that calling them the "Nobletts" might be a more suitable nickname lol

• Danish Dynamite
      1 year agoReport

Yeah dude, it was an easy win away to Cardiff and so it should of been. Easy win and we should try and keep up the good form.

1 year ago

Because they can't play for Toffee !

• F
      1 year agoReport

Would appear so on current form.

1 year ago

Everton fans used to meet at Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House and walk to the stadium. Then Everton moved to Goodson Park and fans met at old Mother Noblettes Toffee Shop near the stadium.

1 year ago

Fans used to meet at an old toffee shop...and when they moved,they moved close to a toffee factory or bigger shop.

Source(s): Mate told me and he is an Everton fan,not sure if I remember the story correct though.
    1 year ago

ueitwexc

1 year ago

There was a well known brand of toffees called ' Everton toffees'.

1 year ago

bnjocsec