Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 11 months ago

Do you like or dislike music genres?

I've always liked the idea of genres as a way to help identify and describe a band. But a lot of bands seem to hate being put into a genre. Why is this? Doesn't it make it easier for new fans to fan bands they might also like?

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

The thing about genres is that some bands will strive to remain within the confines of whichever genre they'd prefer to be associated with and some will not. As musicians progress, as they continue to develop, to morph and change and to hone their talents more and more, sometimes it becomes too difficult to continue to compose and record songs that sound very similar to one another. Some bands can make a career out of sounding the same. Look at AC/DC, they've essentially cut the same record 15 times and their fans love them for that. But in many other cases, when a band decides to tweak their sound or image, either because they want to be taken more seriously or because they've just got bored with what they were doing, some fans just don't take it well.

So what it really comes down to is this: "What's more important, being true to one's self, or keeping one's fans happy?"

When musicians are young, just starting out and full of beans, they tend to be a lot more idealistic than after they've been chipping away at the grind for years. At the end of the day, making music, selling records, performing concerts - it's a job. And if you want to continue to sell records and sell concert tickets, then you're going to need to keep the people happy who part with their hard-earned money to buy your records and see you play.

But a lot of fans are really obtuse too. So many people are partial to a particular genre, or a few select genres of music, they don't really like to stray outside of their comfort zone, so a lot of the time, they rely on these categorisations to steer them toward what they like, mostly because they only listen to a bunch of bands that sound exactly the same.

There's a clear difference between "rock" and "rap", between "classical" and "blues", between "folk" and "jazz", but there are so many sub-categorisations for all of those types of music that things start to become murky.

Many people who like rock might not be inclined to listen to heavy metal, which was once considered a form of rock music (and technically still is), but has expanded to become a genre in its own right. And plenty of people profess an affinity for hip-hop, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they all like gangsta rap, just because the two are fairly similar in terms of deviation from a common root.

I have no problem with genres or labels so long as they are accurate, truthful, and sensible. For example, I've always loved rock music, even as a lad... I was raised on The Beatles and the Doors, Chicago, that type of fare... When I was a teenager, "Alternative Rock" and "Grunge Rock" started to become very popular, and nobody could really understand where the term "Alternative" came from. Alternative to what? Other types of rock? Other genres of music? We didn't know. And I have always hated that term.

But I can tell the difference between Classic Heavy Metal and Black Metal, Death Metal and Thrash Metal, Speed Metal and Glam Metal very easily because I've been listening to metal for decades. I can do something similar with Blues, I know that Reverend Gary Davis and Howlin' Wolf and Buddy Guy and B.B. King don't sound anything alike when you really listen, but to people that don't know anything about the Blues, they probably think that they all sound like Eric Clapton.

I think genres multiply because people try to do something different and people are too quick to provide another term to pigeonhole them when they really don't need one. We obviously have many more names for styles of music than we have styles of music, which is pretty much the same for almost everything in the world - we only have a finite number of things, but an endless supply of names to bestow on them.

Dislike. Finding music through genre's can be confining if you are an audiophile like me.

Source(s): 8868

I like different songs not a single genre. I can like any genre except probably jazz, it goes by the song not what type of song.

I like them in terms of describing the sound of music, but I can understand why bands wouldn't like them. I don't think they should be used to restrict the style of music a band does/put pressure on a band to do or avoid any type of music. For example, fans saying "that band is rock" and then saying "they've sold out" or "they're just going through a phase" or "they're not being themselves" or something of that sort if they do songs of a different genre. There are a lot of subgenres out there (art rock, post-punk, hard rock, blues rock, shoegazing, etc.), and some people might call a song or the majority of songs of a band a genre that it isn't. We use words to describe things to people, but because different people can describe the same thing in more than one way, I don't think people should get too hung up on genres.

• Mike W

No, not really. There's something about every genre that I like and things that I don't.

Genres have TOO many names used. Who decides which genre to pigeon hole a band or song into ? Often if it is a "reviewer", I find myself wondering if we both were listening to the same song / songs. Many times they try to name a sound alike, or find another band of influence, and I always wonder how in the world they came up with that. I hear it COMPLETELY different.

Myself, just as I think, I have Rock-n-Roll, Blues, Folk, and "weird & unusual". I can add blues rock, but, doesn't that again mess the whole thing up ?

No, I do NOT like music genres. Others can make up all that "stuff". I will just listen with an open mind and decide if I found something I like. I like all kinds of music IF(?) it is good and played well, by gifted musicians.

* I guess just as Jimi Hendrix said .... "All music is good music, if it is played well".

• Tony B

It's a silly word that's usually used by people who don't know what it means. I guess they think it makes them sound smart. It's not a word that I efer use and that no one used a couple of decades ago.

A while ago someone here described "rock" as a "genre" which, if you know what these things are, is ridiculous.

Of course there are "kinds" or "types" of music but "genres"? That's not for grown-ups.

If you really liked this song but you cannot think of the music artist name and had a slight idea of how it sounded, what would you do to find that artist?

tjhmbcls

nzyqidcc