Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 year ago

Are you a nice person?

I'm noticing I'm clearly not

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I’m capable of being very nice due to a strong preference for peace over discord in my dealings with others. At the same time, I’ve warned individuals who’ve pushed my annoyance button a little too hard or too often that I’m not always as nice as I might seem to be, that I happen to enjoy verbal confrontations, and that they’d regret finding out how not nice I can be if they keep pushing their luck.

I believe in karma, that nice begets nice, and being nice attracts nice people into our lives.

For example, yesterday I met friends for lunch and, after saying goodbye, the only thing I wanted to do was chill, by myself, on the boat. Then I remembered a very nice couple on the dock who ran over rocks, causing $20K in damages and possibly losing the use of their boat for at least a month, if not the rest of the season.

I’m not sure if compassion got the best of me or it was a commitment to at least try to be nicer than I normally am but I rose above my selfishness and texted an invitation to them to spend the afternoon/night hanging out with me on my boat. An hour or so later, I was actually happy when I didn’t receive a response, since I’d done the right thing and it was looking as if I’d still get to spend some quality alone time.

While walking on the dock I spotted the couple I’d texted sitting on another couple’s boat, with the engines running. When I told the man I’d texted him he took out his phone and said, “Oh, thank you. I didn’t see it until just now. That was really nice of you.”

A week or so ago the woman, whose boat they were on, invited me to hang out with their group of friends but, wanting to be alone, I declined. So when she invited me to join them for a ride I had to override my desire to pass again because I wanted to be nice (as opposed to honest). Especially since I felt she was being so gracious and didn’t deserve a second refusal.

Long story short, we ended up taking a fun ride across Long Island Sound and up the Byram River where we docked at a restaurant, made reservations, and hung out, chatted (and drank) on the boat until we were called to be seated (and served an excellent meal).

So, while I was looking forward to a perfect night alone, I ended up sharing a perfect night getting to know four very nice “neighbors” a lot better.

As a bonus, the male owner of the boat is an excellent mechanic and helpful guy so knowing him better is a definite plus. (Then again, if I didn’t like him, I wouldn’t care what he did or how he might be able to help me.)

As a second bonus, it turned out the woman who invited me to join them had an agenda. She owns a local coffee shop and, knowing I’m unattached, mentioned she had a few female customers I might be interested in meeting. Which I thought was a very nice idea.

• 1 year ago

What's a nice person for you?

• Jeremy
    1 year ago

I believe that I am and many say that I am so I'll answer YES.

• 1 year ago

nope

• 1 year ago

now that i think about it, no.

• 1 year ago

Certainly**♬♪*+***👀**

1 year ago

No

• Nicole
    1 year ago

Yes I am

• 1 year ago

Define - "nice"

1 year ago

I am till something pisses me off.