promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I have a 2v circuit that needs a variable capacitor. I been having a hard time finding what I need.?

I need to be able to fine tune between 40 and 60 micro Farads. It doesn t need to have that exact range. Smaller the better. SMD and through hole are both welcome.

Any suggestions? Please and thankyou.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • qrk
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Variable capacitors are in the pF range, not uF range. If you could find one, that would be a monster variable capacitor, taking up the size of a desk.

There may be a way of synthesizing such a beast with a capacitance multiplier or a gyrator.

Why do you need a variable cap with such a large value? Perhaps there is a simpler way of dealing with your issue.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

This is usually done by using a selector switch to switch a fixed capacitor into parallel with a variable cap.

You would need a ton of them.

To get 1 Hz from a 555 set it up for Multi 4096 Hz frequency and use a divide by 16^3 counter chain.

• 1 year ago

For one thing, a 555 won't run from 2V.

Next, no such thing (at least not in regular production) as a variable 50 uF capacitor - adjust the resistor(s) instead.

And finally, the easiest and cheapest way to emulate a 555 circuit would be to use a chinese Arduino Nano clone...

• ...Show all comments
    • Markus Imhof
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

You're probably right - just looked it up myself. Sorry. But in that case, you'd be fine with the 10 MOhm or higher resistors, just clean up any flux residues from your PCB.

• 1 year ago

This is the calculator im using. I am trying to get a 1Hz frequency from a 555 timer

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/555-astable-calcu...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

No such parts in 40uF till 60uF range, because it becomes very very big like a fridge size and no such need in commercial value. You should vary the resistor from your simple circuit rather than vary the capacitor.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.