I have a 2v circuit that needs a variable capacitor. I been having a hard time finding what I need.?

I need to be able to fine tune between 40 and 60 micro Farads. It doesn t need to have that exact range. Smaller the better. SMD and through hole are both welcome.

Any suggestions? Please and thankyou.

• qrk
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Variable capacitors are in the pF range, not uF range. If you could find one, that would be a monster variable capacitor, taking up the size of a desk.

There may be a way of synthesizing such a beast with a capacitance multiplier or a gyrator.

Why do you need a variable cap with such a large value? Perhaps there is a simpler way of dealing with your issue.

• 1 year ago

This is usually done by using a selector switch to switch a fixed capacitor into parallel with a variable cap.

You would need a ton of them.

To get 1 Hz from a 555 set it up for Multi 4096 Hz frequency and use a divide by 16^3 counter chain.

• 1 year ago

For one thing, a 555 won't run from 2V.

Next, no such thing (at least not in regular production) as a variable 50 uF capacitor - adjust the resistor(s) instead.

And finally, the easiest and cheapest way to emulate a 555 circuit would be to use a chinese Arduino Nano clone...

• Markus Imhof
      1 year agoReport

You're probably right - just looked it up myself. Sorry. But in that case, you'd be fine with the 10 MOhm or higher resistors, just clean up any flux residues from your PCB.

• 1 year ago

This is the calculator im using. I am trying to get a 1Hz frequency from a 555 timer

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/555-astable-calcu...

• 1 year ago

No such parts in 40uF till 60uF range, because it becomes very very big like a fridge size and no such need in commercial value. You should vary the resistor from your simple circuit rather than vary the capacitor.