Rich asked in TravelUnited StatesAustin · 1 year ago

Austin Texas or NYC?

Currently live in filthadelphia and want to move. Wifes family lives in texas and we both like it because of how cheap it is to live and other stuff. I make 75k and that will go far in texas rather than NYC. But NYC has alot of culture, more jobs and it is more us. We both are artist and we like the city vibe but not sure if Austin has art culture. But at the same we want to own a house rather then renting a 3000 studio in NYC. We want to own stuff then rent. However in NYC no car ( no car payment and insurance). In texas I have to get another car for wife, credits good so payments will be low I'm in the film industry and would love to know if Austin has the type of media. I lived in NYC before and I know the film industry is amazing. Also wife is in insurance so not sure that Austin has alot of those jobs for her. Plus we love the outdoors as well.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Used to live in Texas. It was cheap to live before 2011. Now 1000 a day move to Texas. My rent went from 300/month to 600 / month not good

• Login to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

If you wouldn't mind moving far away and want a mid-sized city experience, than Austin. If you want to stay close or live in a very large city, than NYC.

• 1 year ago

IF you've ever watched Casey Neistat on YouTube, you'll probably know that it's tough going living in NYC and a poke around on Realtor.com usually shows it'll cost you millionaire money for a house the size of a shoe box, and you've got to seriously bust your butt to survive there.

Also the current mayor of NYC Bill de Blasio (aka "Blah de Blah") ranks pretty high in the list of US politicians who induce a roll of the eyes.

Life in Texas is way better.... just check out the Texas YouTubers......

- DemolitionRanch / OfftheRanch (based just outside San Antonio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg9rEyMts4c

Youtube thumbnail

- LunkersTV (based in Dallas-Fort Worth, but gets all over the place)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOnWdic-UIY

Youtube thumbnail

- LakeForkGuy / Lake Life Family (based in Dallas-Fort Worth, but regular flits between there and San Antonio / College Station / Houston) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euh9QqT2vc4

Youtube thumbnail

- "Out on the Ranch (with Dr Lee)" ..... DemoRanch's Dad as well as to Youtubers "(HE) Homemade Everything" + "OperatorDrewski"

- Andy Rawls (woodworking guy)

Also Texas regularly ranks high for quality of life, taxes, ease of doing business + job creation in surveys/articles about that kinda thing in politics + entrepreneur publications like Forbes, etc.

• TedEx
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Who would ever want to leave Philadelphia, their cheese steaks the Phillies and the Art Museum.You might consider San Antonio..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Austin, Texas

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You salary would differ from a job in Philly to NYC to Austin. Don’t count on 75k salary.

Highly doubtful you would ever own your own condo/home in NYC. And the apartments are notoriously small. You would still have the cost of transportation

Go visit Austin. Geta real estate agent. Be frank let them know you may move there and want a house in the future. Get info on Rent for apartments, what a condo or townhouse would cost. Schools in the area. Check out the the city has to offer in art, concerts, museums.

What is income and property taxes in both cities.

You are talking about two completely different paces to live. They have very little in common.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.