anyone know if i can use 32 acp brass to reload 32 sw short for a break top iver johnson revolver?

i know a 32acp has more of a rim then other auto rounds. just thought id ask the hunting section for some wisdom

allow me to clear up the confusion.

im talking about taking 32acp brass and loading it to 32sw short specs along with the same powder charge (which would be 1 grain of hp38)

i am not talking about loading a 32 short brass to 32acp specs

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

AT first glance and knowing that the .32 Short was initially designed for BLACK POWDER NOT SMOKELESS, I would say NO I would not try it. In addition please look at the dimension differences in the two cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_S%26W

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_ACP

Particularly the RIM DIAMETER. And Base Diameter. There is NOTHING about case wall thickness.

I suggest you do some reading. THEN in the final if ordering call the brass manufacturer and ask their opinion. Honestly, if you make some contacts with these folks, it is a VERY wise idea. I had a contact at Sierra who was AMAZING through many years of being "friends". We actually met once at the Shot Show, and after did a couple hunting trips together. Making those contacts REALLY pays off. I had a a couple guys at Remington. Could ask them questions "off the record" for tricks I could do to my Remington rifles when I needed advise. MAKE contacts, it is amazing.

* Add to that logic ... and The Iver Johnson which is NOT known to be the strongest built revolver, I say NOPE I would not do it. Could ruin the revolver.

• zipper
    1 year ago

The ACP has a longer brass so it should not fit in correctly, also it is a stronger load that can damage the gun. DO NOT DO IT!

• uh...before you freak out i wasnt saying i would load 32acp rounds into a 32 short. i was saying id take 32acp brass and load it down to 32short

• 1 year ago

No. The 32 ACP is a rimless round. The 32 Smith Short has a rim and it is the rim that holds the cartridge in place. It is quite possible the 32 ACP case would just fall into the cylinder and it would be hard to get it out. FYI, you can take 327 Federal Mag, 32 H+R Mag, 32 Smith Long and 32 Smith short to make brass for your gun. They are same in exterior dimension except for length. Pay attention to the inside of each as the interior may vary.

1 year ago

Serious loads are here.

• Adam D
    1 year ago

If you're not planning to exceed the safe pressure for a cartridge, loading down isn't an uncommon thing. I'm not sure how well the ACP cases are going to fit in your revolver though. The ACP case dimensions are larger, I don't know what kind of tolerances there are for this scenario.

You might consider calling a gunsmith, unless someone on this forum happens to have specific experience with both of these rounds you may need professional advice - and it might take a bit of looking around to find someone who can answer with confidence even then.