I have a green card. Can I work as EMT or I need citizenship? State of Montana. Thanks?

Favorite Answer

Requirements are set by the specific employer, but it's rare for employers to require citizenship for medical personnel. You being a US PR means you can answer Yes to the question about being authorized to wrk in the USA and No to the question about needing visa sponsorship in the future.

• RICK

You need an EMT certificate that is accepted in the US

If you have that all you need is a green card

You will need proper EMT training & license. Check with state board of medical examiners on required courses & certifications, licensing exams, etc. You also need to check with your local jurisdiction as EMTs may be under town/city police/fire department, and those positions may be restricted to citizens. Also check with private ambulance services (see "employment" on their websites) to see what they require to hire.

Also check on distinctions between EMT (emergency medical technician) & paramedic, as some states differentiate requirements for training, licensing, etc.

• Edwena

You need an EMT card.

• Foofa

I believe you can get an EMT license in Montana as a permanent resident. But the Board of Medical Examiners supervises EMTs in that state so contact that body to find out for sure.

• WilsG12 months agoReport

I did and they transferred me to voicemail and nobody ever returned a call.