why does gumbo take so long to make from scratch?

i cant make gumbo from sratch too often only special occassions cause im in the kitchen till 2 am cooking. all the slicing up onions and bell peppers fixing the roux i would rather just buy the frozen ready to eat gumbo dinners from zatarans taste the same

it takes me over an hour to chop all of my veggies lol i don't know what im doing wrong, i need to just go ahead and invest in a food processor

• Linda
    Favorite Answer

Because making anything, from scratch, ALWAYS takes longer and tastes better.

If your gumbo takes that long to cook at ends up tasting like a box dinner. Don't make it anymore.

• Dimo

" ... from zatarans taste the same.... "

-- eew! I must cook from scratch *because* the commercial crap taste different.

" ... takes me over an hour to chop all of my veggies.... "

-- depends on how much veggies, and how picky you are about your chopping. Professional cooks *must* chop quickly. I am slower, but is chopped very exactly. When I make Ratatouille it takes me about an hour to *thin* slice two zucchini, eggplant diced in 1/2" (not 3/8" or 5/8") cubes, *very thin* slice onion, bell pepper in 3/4" pieces, mushroom caps (no stems) also thin sliced, and a pound of roma tomato 1/8" slices.

I don't do gumbo, but my Jambalaya takes over 30 minutes to slice/chop the sausage/ham/onion/pepper and 75 minutes to cook. My most time recipe is my beef stew, about 4.5 hours cooking time. Slow cooking has the best flavors. I'm having steaks today, about 8 minutes to cook. The baked potato will be served with sauteed onion/butter/sour cream. It takes 45 minutes to saute the onions -- slowly, perfect, nothing burnt. Hey! I'm retired and picky.

To feed just a few people, no. To feed 25 or more, yes, as there are a Lot of ingredients in a good Gumbo.

You just told us why it takes so long, so why are you asking why it takes so long?

it doesn't. Chopping veggies takes no more than 15 minutes...ditto making a roux.

what the heck are you doing till 2 a.m. anyway?