Truck Transmission?

Tonight I found the gear shift in my 2010 Ford had become stuck in park and I asked my stepdad to come look. It worked almost fine this morning. We found that the transmission fluid had completely leaked. The truck has 90,000 miles. What are the odds that the transmission is destroyed?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Best Answer

The ATF level has nothing to do with the shift lever coming out of Park.

Turn the key to the ON position with out starting the motor. Press down the brake pedal. If the shift lever won't move you either have a bad brake light switch or a bad lock out solenoid for the shift lever. If you drove the truck home there should be ATF in the tranny. You do know that the ATF has to be checked with the motor running?! If you check it with the motor off there won't be any ATF on the dipstick. Don't overfill it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • don r
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Cold, the transmission dipstick will show a lower level that when hot, and when running, will show the proper operating level. If none shows with the engine off, do not drive the car until you add fluid to the transmission. Use the right fluid.

• bo
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

top of fluid, repair the leak and try it. 50/50 on internal damage. find local shop at ATRA.COM for more help

Source(s): transmission man
  • 11 months ago

If it worked this morning and you got more fluid in it, should be OK

• don r
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Fix the leak, refill the transmission and see if it works- probably will.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

Service the fluid and see what happens. We can only guess. The transmission is likely shot.

• Erik
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Even if "service the fluid" made sense, it's not necessary-- it's already empty. Just add more.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.