Whatever happened to slew as a verb form?

So, I was watching this commercial on TV and a facial tissue commercial came on, spoken in verse. The narrator said something to the effect of , {his daughter s nose was sore and red, but he used {insert tissue name here} and slay d it instead! That s maybe; slayed, slaied slay d or slade. What hapeded to slew? ... show more So, I was watching this commercial on TV and a facial tissue commercial came on, spoken in verse. The narrator said something to the effect of , {his daughter s nose was sore and red, but he used {insert tissue name here} and slay d it instead! That s maybe; slayed, slaied slay d or slade. What hapeded to slew? It s like pled all over again. Almost daily I hear that so-and-so pleaded guilty to charges of perjury and obstruction of justice... etc, and I wonder if pled has dropped out of the language along with whither and whence. Pleaded sounds too much like either the sound that sheep made in the past, or a nicely made bed.
Update: Just now when I clicked submit, to post the question, when it arrived in its posted form, all of the apostrophes were eliminated and replaced with spaces! Worst case of autoincorrect iv'e ever seen! At every point where it is spelled "slay d" it is supposed to be "slay'd" and in case... show more Just now when I clicked submit, to post the question, when it arrived in its posted form, all of the apostrophes were eliminated and replaced with spaces! Worst case of autoincorrect iv'e ever seen! At every point where it is spelled "slay d" it is supposed to be "slay'd" and in case that does not print out it is spelled: Ess Ell Ay Why Apostrophe Dee. So there. There's something wrong with the login.