Who was a better front man for Van Halen. Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth?

I think David Lee Roth is a better showman, but Sammy is a better singer. especially in 2018. Sounds like David is having a tough time.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

A debate that will rage indefinitely.

The fact is, both singers recorded some great songs and albums with Van Halen.

The older I get, the more I prefer Sammy Hagar. Van Halen with Sammy as the vocalist was much more mature and polished. The downside of that was they were more commercial and poppy. Sammy Hagar was always a better singer than DLR, and that's more true in 2018 than ever...I agree with you that Diamond Dave just can't sing live anymore.

When I was younger, especially when I was a teenager, I would have quickly and enthusiastically said that DLR is better. Van Halen's classic era stuff, with DLR, in the late 70's and 80's, was fantastic, although not all of it has stood up to the test of time. They were immature and silly, and those early albums (except for the '78 self-titled debut) were short (just barely qualifying as an LP in most cases) and yet still about 50% filler. Which is true of a lot of rock albums in that era, when acts were expected to crank out a studio album every year under their contract with one of the big record companies.

In 2018, I choose Sammy Hagar as my answer to your question. But I love Van Halen music with DLR, including their hit song "Tattoo" from a few years ago, which was excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfQ-hV3WtA

What a tough question to answer. Personally I liked Sammy slightly better, but Dave was great too.

• ?

Sammy's always been the better singer, but Diamond Dave was the only true fit for the band.

David Lee Roth

Roth because he was there for most of the bands well known stuff. And best recieved stuff. And Roth will not be replaced. Unless Eddie Van Halen wants him to be. He is 100% in charge of the band. He put his son on bass. To replace Michael Anthony. Nepotism anyone? Got to love it.

• David Lee Roth Because Of Atomic Punk And Ice Cream Man

While Sammy is a much better singer, DLR actually is a better fit for Van Halen. And yeah DLR can't sing for shite live now, his style does fit Eddie's style better. Though I wouldn't say no to one last Van Hagar album before they all call it a day.

• Murzy

David Lee Roth

both r great