does anyone else feel like it cost a lot of money to cook at home and be healthy and really eat a hearty meal?

if you want to eat a can of beans and rice then yeah its cheap but if you want to eat stuff like strawberries, blueberries, its expensive.olive oil is also expensive. to make something like gumbo is expensive because you cant keep vegetables in your freezer too long before they go bad. chicken breasts at my local grocery store is $10 for the smallest pack. cheapest bag of shrimp at my local grocery store is like $16, steak will run you about $10-20 per packet and things like cheese and milk you cant buy in bulk because dairy expires faster than anything else

Favorite Answer

Healthy food generally costs more, especially organic fruits and vegetables. Greasy unhealthy food such as McDonalds or carls Jr is generally way cheaper and more convenient

It does cost a lot more. That's why I eat fast food. Yolo tight?

yes-drive and get take out-no cooking, no cleaning, and tastes good

• Clive

It certainly does NOT. What makes you think it's cheaper to go to restaurants when you have to pay for someone to cook it there?

Of course fruit is expensive out of season as it is at the moment, and many vegetables DO keep frozen for months. What's wrong with your freezer?

If chicken breasts are expensive, buy thighs. Much tastier and cheaper.

You think those things are cheaper in restaurants? Vegetables can be kept frozen almost indefinitely. They may not look fantastic, but they're fine. And anyway, if you're keeping them indefinitely then you aren't planning well. Same is true if you're constantly throwing things out because they spoil. You can buy milk by the half pint, you know. Milk keeps quite well in my fridge for at least ten days. Maybe your fridge isn't cold enough. Cheaper cheeses don't last as long, but the older more expensive ones can last months in a fridge. Maybe the more expensive ones are better value in the long run if you're throwing away part of the cheaper ones. Ten bucks worth of chicken can make at least four meals for me. Add 5 bucks of rice and vegetables and I eat four good meals for $15. Those same meals would cost at least $12 each in a restaurant. Plus tax and tip. And sure, it costs somewhat more to eat properly and be healthy than it does to eat everything out of a can, but it's cheaper than getting sick. They used to teach all this stuff in school, how to manage your food buying, storage, and cooking so you could eat well but within your budget. Maybe it's time they taught it again.

• Dimo

I live in LaLaLand. I enjoy good fresh food.

strawberries -- $1/pound in season

blueberries -- $3/pound in season

olive oil -- I haven't the exact price, but I pay about $20 for 6 liters in Costco.

you cant keep vegetables -- DUH!!! I buy fresh vegetables depending on what I make.

(I buy at the "ethic" supermarkets, about 1/3 the cost of the National Chains.)

chicken breasts -- Fosters, $2.99/pound at Costco.

shrimp -- 100/200 count, shelled, raw, 12 ounces for $6. I make Jambalaya, about 12 servings.

steak -- USDA Choice Rib Eye steaks, on sale for under $5/pound.

cheese and milk ... expires -- Whole Milk, $2.79/gallon, stays fresh in my refrigerator for 10-12 days.

My dinners cost $2 to $6 per person. A LOT cheaper than crap in a restaurant.

Not really. If you cook with only Fresh ingredients, yo have to shop for prices as well as good quality. And there are places where you can get fresh food cheap. For example, Ethnic markets often have 2 sections: One is fresh produce for the 'Americans' and the other side of the store is for whatever 'ethnic' people they are trying to attract-like Korean, Spanish, etc.

Not for me. I buy in season fruits and vegetables as they generally cost less.

The world isn't always fair especially if you don't have the money

• JenKay

Eating well can be expensive but it doesn't have to be. Use frozen vegetables. Buy a whole chicken and cut it up yourself. Shrimp where I live is about $8 a pound. Always shop the sales and stock up when you can.