Soul83 asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 year ago

How to boost my immunity whilst working full time nightshift?

I enjoy doing nightshift. I work alone and have a good routine. I am in charge of a major hospital switchboard on my own.

But these last 3 weeks I've had a recurrent flu/cold that affects my throat and leaves my body with a nasty fever. This time my throat is really bad. Tomorrow I'm going to ask for a strep throat test to determine if it is bacterial or viral. I have a blood test on Monday morning.

I have put on a ridiculous amount of weight. I'm 186cm tall and now weigh 109kg. That scared me. I looked at my stomach tonight and I'm very worried. I restrict my meals to 2 times per day. Dinner about midnight at work and breakfast about 5am.

Dinner consists of meat and vegetable dishes. No take away.

I don't incorporate exercise. The doctor seems convinced that my immune system will greatly improve with weight loss and consistent exercise. I'm motivated to get my weight down but will it help prevent recurrent infections?

Also, I'm studying to be a nurse but having second thoughts if I'm going to be picking up all the viruses!

I'm also concerned about my family. I have s son who is only 7 months old. I'm not going near him or my wife whilst I'm sick.

No the hospital won't necessarily have all the info. I work in an admin building separate from the main hospital. Even air con is separate so technically shouldn't be getting exposed. But two days ago I did go to visit my colleague in ED. It doesn't explain the first bout of infection 2 weeks ago when I never set foot into clinical areas...

My relationship with my wife continues to worsen. Every little thing makes her angry at me. She took a photo with me at her xmas party but said I looked disgusting. I think she was referring to my fat face. I see that she likes a couple of her Chinese colleagues as they make more money than I do, are more outgoing, more funny and much skinnier than I. I had to take out an AVO on her for being violent to me and around our newborn son.

Now I'm sick so she needs to sleep separately. I think the lack of photos together, sleeping separately etc is indicative of our failing marriage :(

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

So....

1. Portion control is as important as what you eat. It is great that you are eating fresh veggies and lean meat -- just don't eat a 10-ounce steak. - Four ounces of meat twice a day is plenty.

2. Don't eat right before you go to sleep. If you go to bed when you get off work, don't have breakfast and then sleep -- your body has no choice but to store those calories as fat. Instead, have a meal when you get up and then a meal at night or during your shift break or whatever.

3. Get some kind of exercise every day and try your best to get out in the daylight. Take your child for a walk in his stroller.

• Eva
    1 year ago

With as little as you eat, you probably need to take a multi-vitamin and possible an additional C to help boost your immune response. Eating more consistently would help too. Going 19 hours without eating is a stress on your system as well.

• 1 year ago

You work in a hospital... I'd say that means you have a far better source of information on this subject literally surrounding you.