Anonymous

Any advice for a female looking to get her CDL?

So I'm a 35 year old female living in Stockton Ca. For the past 10 years or so I've been working in warehouses doing order selection, shipping receiving etc. I have a friend who I worked with that went into trucking about 3 years ago and he absolutely loves it. He reffered me to a school that costs about $2500. That includes 4 weeks of training, helping me get all my endorcements and job placement assistance. I have no experience driving at all, but I'm excited to try something new, and I need simetbig to fall back on. I know it requires hard work and paying my dues first and that OTR drivers make the most, but I never wanted to be away from home all the time. My friend suggested I work for 3 years and come to his company and it's a wrap. My friend is making 75-85k/year now and I want in. What are some things I can expect as a female starting out? And are jobs for drivers really as plentiful as it seems? Thanks in advance.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

Keep in mind that it's not just driving. You have to get the loads to the delivery point on time and possibly make sure it's all there. There are going to be delays, detours, bad weather. some rotten folks. I've heard the money is good but it can be quite boring. Some folks decide to buy their own truck and get gigs locally. Good luck to you.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    12 months ago

All the big companies are hurting for drivers right not. The future looks good especially if the US is able to bring back manufacturing jobs. The components of manufactured goods is shipped to the factor and the finished product is then shipped out to the consumer, so there should be no lack of jobs. Self driving vehicles are on the horizon, but full acceptance is many years away, so it should be a good career move.

• 12 months ago

What difference does it make that you're a woman? That kind of attitude guarantees you're going to have problems. Get over your gender: it doesn't matter unless you make an issue of it

• 12 months ago

Go for it!

I don't have any details on the specifics but everything that I have read claims that there is a huge shortage of truckers in the entire contrary.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.