HDD beeping?

So.

For every ten startups, there s one, where it starts normally, but makes a very loud noise (like a louder engine)

And in that case, when I turn the PC off forcedly, the HDD makes 4 little beeps. Not bios, not mechanical, just 4 little 8-bit beeps.

What the h*ll is this?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    12 months ago
    Favorite Answer

uh, HDDs don't beep. BIOS beeps are the only BIOS on startup.

probably a fan overvoltage warning. one of your fans may need replaced. find out which one is running fast and replace.

• 12 months ago

So, uh little clearup:

I use HDD and SMART reading programs, both are saying that the HDD is okay.

I think that the last answer is the right one, because this occurs most times when I turn off the power strip, and a day later, I turn it back again.

What happens is:

-Normal startup, everything is okay for a second.

-And something happens, and the whole PC makes a noise LITERALLY like a jet.

-I force turn it off (because I'm afraid that it could damage something)

-I open the case, and close it back, and it works.

What is going on?

• 12 months ago

Look at Computer POST and Beep Codes

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

If it is coming from the hard drive, it sounds like your hard drive is on its way out. Back up all your important stuff before you get met with the nasty surprise that your hard drive has died and taken all your data with it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 12 months ago

the drive is on the way out.

• 12 months ago

HDD can not and will not "beep". A "beep" has to come from some sort of a speaker (audio device).

What you are calling a HDD is actually your tower (computer case). A HDD is contained inside your tower, but only make whirring or ticking sounds.

Those beeps, from forcibly shutting down your computer, are telling you that this is not the way to turn off a computer!

• Chris
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

Just to avoid confusion, this is a HDD: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/7...

You're talking about a Desktop computer, I assume?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.