Full Ride for Wright State?

Im a home-schooled 10th grader, my dream college is wright State University. Is there anyway I could get a full-ride scholarship from wright State if I graduate 3.3 or higher GPA? Could I get a letter of recommendation asking if they could waive the costs of going there? Im working hard so I'm not expecting this just to fall in my lap out of nowhere. It's just me and my mom and we do not make enough money to be able to afford college, this would mean so much to me if wright State would wave the costs for me. I live in Ohio and I live like 10 to 20 minutes away from wright State I always pass by just hoping I would be able to go to that college. Thank you for your time

Best Answer

There is a full ride (tuition, room/board, and books) merit scholarship if you are named a National Merit Scholarship Program or National Achievement Scholarship Program Finalist or Semifinalist; designate Wright State University as university of first choice; and have minimum 3.75 cumulative GPA.

There are other scholarships listed on the financial aid page.

You are also eligible for many state and federal education grants if your family is low-income; don't worry about paying for college. It's the middle-class people whose parents should have saved for college but didn't (or whose parents just refuse to help pay for college) that have a problem.

Almost no one pays the full tuition for a university. Most students get financial aid. When you're a senior and applying to schools, your mother will fill out a form called the FAFSA with her financial information. That info will be sent to the schools that accept you, and they will make financial aid offers. When my daughter was applying (also with a single mother), some schools offered no financial aid, others offered some, and one school gave her almost a free ride (except that a little bit was in loans that she paid off after graduation.) The aid was in the form of scholarships, grants, loans and work-study. You might not get the best offer from your dream school, so you need to apply to several schools and see what they offer. I don't know about Ohio, but my state has a lottery-funded scholarship that everyone with a decent GPA gets. You might have to be enrolled in a school to get this. In any case, if you were in school, there would be an advisor who would help you with all this, and with your college applications. Colleges are skeptical of home schooling- kids tend not to understand about attending classes.

No. State or public universities rarely if ever give a full-ride scholarship. You can look on the school's website to see what options they have. Scholarships tend to go either to athletes (if it is a D1 NCAA school) or to the top academic 1%.

https://wayne.edu/scholarships

https://wayne.edu/financial-aid/applying/

If your family is lower income, you could qualify for need-based financial aid. Your parents would need to fill out and submit the FAFSA form and their tax records. Then your family will get information telling you how much money you qualify for. There are also some grants.