Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 11 months ago

What's probably wrong with my 2000 Chevy Malibu?

Car turns on then (there is anti-freeze in radiator) goes above the normal temperature range on gauge and starts to make noise. I stop the car.

After going home and letting it sit a while ( I live in the Midwest) it turns on and goes to slightly below normal temperature and starts to heat car but it sometimes is not warm but cool.

Mechanic said something about "air pockets".

• don r
    Best Answer

"Noise" could be anything. Bubbling sound could be boiling and steam pockets in the block and head and those can lead to overheating and damage. See about bleeding out air from the cooling system.

Yes, air in the system is a possible reason. but there could be others. Since you obviously lack the skills and knowledge to handle this yourself, take it to a garage for a cooling system inspection, pressure test, flush and refill. It will probably cost around $150 plus any needed parts like a new thermostat.

Just because you have coolant in the reservoir tank doesn't mean the cooling system and radiator are full. Air pockets form when you have coolant leaks.

I'd flush the cooling system and replace the thermostat after doing a cooling system pressure test and finding the leak.

The temperature gauge is not accurate when there are air pockets in the cooling system and you will over heat the motor and ruin the head gaskets if you don't fix the problem right away.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Mater Tech
    • FlagMichael

No air pockets in a 2000 Malibu. It has a surge tank system, specifically designed to be self-purging. Good recommendation about the pressure test, though. Something is not right.

You are not saying anything about a leak, just temperature so I would check the thermostat. If you had it to a mechanic then that would be something they should have checked.

You may have an antifreeze leak somewhere in your car. Do you leave puddles when you park? Hopefully they are external leaks. Many of those can be fixed. Check your oil...if the level is high and a little grey you have an internal leak. Might not be worth fixing. Once you have determined that the leak is not internal; go to an auto parts store and get some coolant leak sealer...usually around $10-$15. It's a crap shoot, but I can't see what you're talking about.