Can an oversized pot cause a stove burner to shorten out?

I have residents that keep submiting work orders about their stove burners not working. Most of the time we see that there is an oversized pot being used. I have mentioned that they should place the pot first before turning on. Could them turning the stove first then placing the pot make any difference? It just... show more I have residents that keep submiting work orders about their stove burners not working. Most of the time we see that there is an oversized pot being used. I have mentioned that they should place the pot first before turning on. Could them turning the stove first then placing the pot make any difference? It just makes me wonder how their burners go out every 2 weeks
Update: what I mean is if they place the pot once the stove is on will it effect the burner. For example if I was to be cooking and after the food is almost done I take the pot off the burner that is on and then placed another pot on the burner while it is on.